Shower Tile Wall Collapse! Now what?!

Ack! I used to have 3-handle controls and loved them; our new (built

2000) house has a single round control. Given similar pressure on the water line, it lets less water through to the shower head, and the one we have doesn't even give flow control. It's either on or off, you just get to choose the temp by rotating it.

"Pressure / temp balance" technology has never appealed to me. Even though I have a toddler, and understand the safety considerations, I still feel the original design is a better one.

Marc

***
Reply to
Marc_G

You can still find single control faucets with a lever instead of a round knob. That gives you much finer control over water volume.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Mine's push/pull to control volume, and twist for temp.

I'm not sure I understand how you COULD build a mechanical faucet that doesn't have variable volume, much less why anyone would.

Reply to
Goedjn

No you don't.

Reply to
Goedjn

It's probably the most common type these days.

Reply to
Mys Terry

As minerals build up in either kind, I think the round ones become harder to control. You tend to pull or push harder, which can result in larger changes in volume. The lever type is easier to control.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Hi just a cheap/ easy suggestion on the window. I had an apt. with a similar situation once and just used plastic miniblind with slats facing down when I showered. It was very effective. You do say, though, that shower spray hits window directly- mine was a glancing flow- might be a bit tougher challenge- get one and test it if possible. Also, you could build up/ replace sill so that it slopes into tub, sand/prime paint all woodwork with 2-3 coats marine paint. It would be good to keep window- and use it- to vent out moisture. Depending where you live it can be very pleasant to shower with outside sounds, scents. Or consider putting in exhaust fan- you did say you're doing ceiling, too, no?

Reply to
Sev

Ken

Reply to
bambam

Actually the waterproof fabric goes over the backerboard to prevent water from hitting the backerboard and is attached using thinset. Thinset is then used on top of that to attach the tile. It completely waterproofs the area from water penetration due to leaks and spills. It would go over the walls and across the floor if the floor is tiled.Every join would be overlapped causing a completely sealed area. Roofing felt is an exterior product and should not be used inside a dwelling.

Reply to
newfysnapshot

May want to think about glass block to replace the window, still lets light in.

Reply to
MC

There are pricey temp adjust controls available today, you set the temp with a LED readout and it stays there forever provided theres enough hot water.

I was told there about a 1000 bucks, costly but how often o you replace a shower faucet? with the temp preset how much water / sewer/ heating water energy will you save in a lifetime?

Reply to
hallerb

It will be virtually impossible to prove that the seller was aware of the problem. Such proof is required in order to obtain a judgement against him.

Reply to
Dennis Turner

The temp presets are there for safety, not to save money on heating water.

Reply to
Doug Kanter