Shower noise behind wall

In my shower upstairs, a noise can be heard behind tha wall at the pipes which is very disturbing and loud. This only occurs when the shower head is used and when water pressure is increased. It also seems to get worse when I turn the valve to get the water hotter. Any experience with this and how can it be corrected?

Reply to
R8EDXXX

Turn up the radio?

Tell the wife not to make so much noise when she's in the shower with the mailman?

What KIND of noise?

: )

Reply to
Noozer

Do you have copper pipes? Could be metal pipes expanding as hot water runs through them. If a clip that holds the pipe is on with just the right amount of tightness, the hot water exapnds (lengthens) the pipe, causing it to rub against the clip, and then you hear a little tap or click sound. It will do it a number of times until the pipe has reached equilibrium temp and then the noise stops. Then when you are done with the shower it may do it again as the pipe cools.

The solution is to loosen the clip so that the pipe can expand freely. Unfortunately, you need access to the pipe, so if it is buried behind a wall, either start tearing into to the wall, or else learn to live with the noise. The noise only hurts your eardrums, won't hurt the house at all.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I'ts a vibrating noise alomost like a loud hum.

Reply to
R8EDXXX

Any chance you've got a low flow shower head attached? I installed such an animal last year and it uses a method of intraining (sp?) air into the discharge at the swivel. It creates one heck of a lot of noise which comes from the vertical feed pipe. I think this noise is due to the air intraining valve pulsating very rapidly. In my case, it was a new shower install and I was able to put insulation in around the piping before closing up the wall. If I remove this particular water saver head and swivel, and install a standard head, the noise is gone.

Waldo

Reply to
Waldo

If you have hot and cold faucets then the washer in the hot faucet may be loose. Take the valve apart and replace the washer.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

Do you have any teenage sons?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have had this shower head for approximately 6 months and just it started doing this!

Reply to
R8EDXXX

I have one faucet which I can adjust to be hot or cold with a dial type lever. To the left hot water and to the right cold. Thanks for the tip though. Any more suggestions?

Reply to
R8EDXXX

Could you be describing "hammering" that occurs to plumbing. (never happened to me thoug).

Usually there are 2 pipes that extend about 12" or so above the faucet. The air within the pipes is supposed to act as a shock absorber for water pressure when using the faucet, preventing the hammering sound. Over time, water slowly fills this air space. Once the air space is gone you get hammering.

The remedy for this is to empty your pipes to return the air space in the shock absorbers. To do this, turn of the main water feed to the house, open all faucets, not forgetting the one in the basement (the lowest point in the system). All the water should drain out of the system.

turn on the main and turn off all the faucets afterwards.

If this works, let me know. I'm kinda curious. A plumber friend took care of my plumbing install in the upstairs bathroom. He did not install that shock absorber thing...said it was B.S. and plumbing doesn't knock. He promised to come in and install one if it ever knocks...

matt

Reply to
Matt

I already did this and it still makes the noise. It's funny how it only does it when the dial is turned left to add hot water and when the shower head is used! Any more suggestions before I call a plumber?

Reply to
R8EDXXX