Shower drain

I just had a new handicapped accessible bathroom with a walk in shower (with a small curb) built. It has a tile floor of 2" tiles set in grout. Underneath a new concrete floor and vinyl pan. The drain is in the center. Unfortunately it was not pitched properly and the water puddles to about 1/8 to 3/8 inches deep in the corners and one side of the shower.

I'm afraid the standing puddles of water standing will cause mildew or odors. Is this type of pudding normal and acceptable or should I have the contractor tear up the floor and redo it?

I'd appreciate any opinions on this. If possible please email replies.

Thanks RF

Reply to
rf

On 11/20/2004 1:15 PM US(ET), rf took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

According to the law of physics, it is normal for water to seek the lowest point. According to good plumbing practice, the drain should be lower than the surrounding area, to take advantage of the the law of physics. Obviously, the plumber was unfamiliar with the law of physics and/or good plumbing practice. It should be fixed, unless you would like to have the disabled person squeegie the water into the drain after they use the shower. I suppose that, due to their handicap, it may be an effort for them to take a shower on a daily basis, so that water may lie there for a couple of days or more, until it is refreshed by new water, or until it evaporates. In the meantime, mold and bacteria can grow.

Reply to
willshak

The installer blew it! Make them re-do the pan. This is unexceptable work.

rf wrote:

Reply to
Inspector D