septic tank, not sewerage treatment

I've been given the ok from our local govt to install an old fashioned septic tank on our country property... Where is the best place to get information on how to dig and install drains, etc for septic tank...we'd like to do it ourselves. Perry

Reply to
perrylep

The Health Department usually has that information. For all the backbreaking work, I would not even consider doing it myself. It's gotta be right, or you'll have problems. Definitely not a first time project for a DIYer. A company will be in and out and gone in a few days. You'll be there much longer, and will probably have to rent equipment. The tank is concrete, and nothing you just pick up in your truck and put in. They have cranes for this. Doing it yourself, IMHO, is something you will regret.

I've built three houses, and I wouldn't touch that project with a ten foot pole.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Honestly I'd rather spend my life taking a dump in a pit toilet, ala camping, than have to screw around with digging that much dirt and putting in that much gravel, pipe, checking the system, getting it inspected, percing the ground, digging it back up when you accidentially drive over it - I'll take a normal city sewer hookup anyday.

Don't get me wrong, I like mine and it's reasonably free but I'm not the sucker who had to install it. Plus unless you really like prairies and fields of grass, a septic system isn't for you.

Reply to
Eigenvector