Septic Tank fills with rain?

boy did it rain! and we think judgeing from the water on top of the ground over the drain field , that the the tank filled with rain water. Is this terribly bad, what can one do?

Reply to
A Veteran for Peace

Judging by your poor spelling, lack of good grammar, and troll like sig line, you wouldn't know what to do if we told you.

Maybe move your trailer farther from the septic tank?

Just a thought.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Septic tank is *always* full of water. Added water (from house) flows out to the leach field where it soaks into ground.

If your ground is saturated from rain, excess from house may either bubble out to surface or backup.

Info here:

and

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

this is a local item subject to your location and specific installation and its age and condition. just call your local plumber and septic tank pump out service to get a pumpout, testing, and diagnosis. ask them for regular care and feeding advice.

Reply to
buffalobill

Call your county inspector and have him take a look at it. He might have some better ideas.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

One of my neighbors called in the County Health Dep't to inspect his neighbors septic system when he smelled an odor from it. The Health Dep't's "better idea" was to condemn it and require the old guy to come up with several thousand dollars to replace it with a "mound" system. Plus he had to pay $400 for a land survey to garantee the installer that it wasn't being placed on another neighbors land. By the way, the city told the county health dept that they intended to run a sanitary sewer line to the house in a year or so but the health dep't said "fix it right now".

Reply to
Tom

It's not the septic tank that fills up. It's always full. The rain water saturates the leach field. When that happens, water flowing into the septic can't drain into the ground because the ground can't take any more water. You need to keep the rain water away from the leach field. I.E. don't let it flood the area. Provide good drainage so you never have pooling over the leach field.

Reply to
Dick

So, what is the problem? If it was out of code, it needed to be corrected.

I'll bet you are one of those folks who thinks nothing of offending others.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Well, if there is a real timetable to build a sanitary sewer line to the house maybe the existing system would suffice temporarily with frequent pump-outs. Just a thought.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

establish better drainage for the leach field if possible. otherwise have the tank pumped out.

it may correct itself if the ground drains quickly.

Reply to
marks542004