self flushing toilet question

without any pattern the toilet will flush. i think the flapper is letting a slow drain take place. is there a dye made that i can use to see if this is taking place, something that will not stain the porcelain.

tia

Reply to
hamma101

Hi, You can drop a bowl cleaner tablet. It gives blue color.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Any food dye is safe. The blue cleaner things are damaging to the mechanism so I suggest you not follow Tony's advice, although one is not likely to do any serious damage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Flappers are cheap ... why not install another?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Reply to
hamma101

My parents would never use the blue cleaner things, because they wouldn't be good for the dog.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

The easiest thing to do is turn off the water supply to the toilet for

6-8 hours (overnight perhaps) and see how far down the water level will drop before it stops leaking. This will identify where the water is leaking out.

-g

Reply to
GJacoby