Self-Adhering Vinyl Tiles

It does, but they will shift around on your old floor and the adhesive will show up through the seams. Eventually they will come up. Armstrong are one of the better peel and stick but from experiance I would not waste my money.

Reply to
robson

Actually thats not entirely true. I've installed several self stick tile and the secret is to buy a small notched trowel and vinyl tile adhesive. Spread the adhesive with the trowel just as you would non-self stick tile. Remove the backing paper and lay the tile. The extra adhesive allows you to slide the tile in place where as if you didn't use it, once it's stuck your stuck. Also the adhesive adds the right amount of extra stick so the tile wont move in the future. Some adhesive will come through the seams when you lay them, have a wet rag handy to wipe it up.

Reply to
loupark

In other words self stick tiles are useless. Trowling on adhesive makes the pre - glue backing moot.

Some

Reply to
robson

I personally would remove any old tile, but everyone needs to experiment.

Reply to
loupark

As Rob says, they can shift after you lay them if they have room to move. I used them in my Mother's house and in mine. My Mother's sifted because I left room at the room edges, mine didn't because I layed them tight. My mother's were also layed over the old linoleum so that might have contributed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I'm thinking of replacing my current kitchen floor. I found some self-adhering Armstrong vinyl tiles at Home Depot and am wondering if these are any good. I would be placing on top of an old linoleum floor. Does the glue really stick well enough? Thanks.

Reply to
Juan C. Reyes

Unless things have changed in the last year or two, the warranty is void if the self stick tiles are put down with glue.

Reply to
Perry Templeton

We used peel and stick flooring in our home. The floor is now 10 yrs old. A couple of tiles have buckled up about 5 yrs ago due to them being at the patio doors where the dogs were coming in all wet. They also turned yellow from the sun there..but that would happen to any flooring. All in all I'd say that the floor looked decent (new looking)for about 4-5 yrs. We just put some in our new sunroom till we can afford to put in hardwood or something. I can say the tiles lasted only about one month in there due to excessive heat from the sun. They are still there, but heaving up. My sis in law layed her peel and stick over lino.

Reply to
Jinxy

Did you do this on top of old linoleum or did you pull it off?

Reply to
Juan C. Reyes

I have had the self sticking tiles move on me, and I wouldn't use them.

Reply to
scott21230

If your tile is poping due to excessive heat, you may have a bigger problem then the cheap tiles.

Reply to
loupark

Rob is exactly right, we put them in our house in San Diego, they work OK, but look kinda cheap. In our new kitchen in northern cal we put down Kahrs floating floor. It's real hardwood, you can get it for ~4.50 per sq. ft. and it looks rich and gorgeous.

Reply to
twice_redeemed

In one word "NO".

Self sticking tiles are a joke ! Dont waste your money. Buy some regular tiles and a can of adhesive. You'll get off cheaper and have a better job.

One note. If by chance you can buy the self sticking tiles real cheap. use them, but apply some multi-purpose flooring adhesive before you place the tiles. I have done this and it works. It also makes an easy job quite difficult because you cant just plop down the tiles at a rate of of one tile every few seconds, you got to waste lots of time pulling off the paper backing.

One final note. If your old "linoleum" (probably vinyl) has wax on it, you must remove the wax or nothing will stick to it. Also, if it's loose, you may have a bigger job of removal. If it's only loose in a few small spots, work some of the adhesive under it and apply some small brads.

Good day !

Reply to
anoldfart2

Like?

The instruction sheet warned about not using them in areas with direct sunlight.

Reply to
Jinxy