Select Trowel With Large Notches to Spread Thinset

If the instruction on a box of ceramic tiles suggests using a trowel that has 1/4" notches. Can I use 1/2" notches instead? I guess one of the downside is that I will need to use more thinset if I use 1/2" notches. Is there any other problem of using large notch size? Will I crack the ceramic tiles when I step on a it if I use 1/2" instead of 1/4" notches?

Thanks for any information.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

It will make a BIG difference, it spreads out an entirely different amount of thinset. The tiles specify 1/4" because that's how much they need to sit properly. Trowels are very cheap, in fact they make disposable ones with 1/4" notches for under $1.

Tile is "forever", don't mess up the installation.

Reply to
Andrew Duane USG

The price of a trowel is not an issue here.

The floor is not 100% level. There are some small high spots and low spots. Nothing outrageously uneven. Therefore, I am thinking of putting a bit more thinset under the ceramic tiles in order to compensate for any uneven spot. Sounds like you don't think this is a good idea. OK, I will knock down all the high spots and fill up all the low spots to make the floor level. Then, I can use the trowel with the correct notch size.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Or, use self-leveling compound first, which is what you're trying to do with thinset. It's mortar with a pancake batter like consistency, and it is used for just such purposes. You can pour it on, and it will seek it's own level, then set up hard as concrete. IIRC, it can deal with unevenness down to 1/8" or so.

Reply to
Andrew Duane USG

I forgot to mention this in my last post:

Actually, I don't find any recommended notch size in the box of the ceramic tiles. I thought I saw that recommendation. That turned out to be just a fragment of my imagination. Does this mean that I can use

1/2" thick thinset now? I should mention that the ceramic tiles are only 1/4" to 3/8" thick, and I have already bought thinset that is rated for both 1/4" and 1/2" application.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan