Sears/Kenmore dehumidifier repair?

I bought two Kenmore dehumidifiers (model 580.54351, 35 pint) two years ago. As of about two weeks ago, the compressor on one has completely stopped working. When you plug it in, the fan goes on for about a minute and a half and shuts off---then nothing happens. The refrigeration system (refrigerant, tubing, compressor motor) is under warranty. The rest of the machine isn't. Is there something I can do to test whether the compressor is defective, rather than the control system?

I have a parts list, but not an electrical diagram. If anyone has such a thing, a copy might be helpful. Any other suggestions would be well appreciated also.

Thanks in advance!!

Reply to
Ben

Throw them in the trash. They are garbage. There have been tons of posts about the trash dehumidifiers Sears has been putting out for the last couple of years. I had mine replace 3 times under the 5 year refrigeration system warranty. Later units are only guaranteed 1 year. Wonder why??? I could have brought mine in again but I decided enuf was enuf and bought a Whrilpool which still was made in the US and is guaranteed 5 years. Unfortunately that one may also be made in China now. You might check consumer reports. My previous Sears dehumdifier lasted 15 years, by the way.

Reply to
Art