sealing plumbing leak

I had a leak in my main house drain, from the upstairs to the basement. It only leaked when I flushed the toliet and the leak was where the PVC pipe was going into the cast iron pipe that was coming out of the floor in the basement. (to the sewer) I put sealer around the bad job of sealing someone else had done and that seemed to work - for awhile. Now it is leaking where the concrete is patched to the hole in the floor. In other words, the seam where they poured the concrete to fill the hole where the pipe comes out. I hope that makes sense.

To go on, I used SPEED SEEL, which is a plumbing, caulk sealer and was recommended by the hardware. That seemed to do the trick after a few applications, but once again, water always wins and I am back to it leaking again.

I am looking for suggestions as what to use and how to fix this problem short of calling a plumber. It seems that the SPEED SEEL has dried and lifted away from the flooring as well as the original area that I first repaired. I need something that will penetrate and fill the crack at the seam. By the way, I tried to use regular bathtub caulk, as a second defense, but that was useless. I appreciate any imput or a similar problem and remedy someone has encountered.

Thanks, jct

Reply to
JCT

Any excuse for not fixing it correctly is an health risk for all that reside in your home. Your asking for mickey mouse solutions for an health risk. Pass

Reply to
SQLit

It sounds as if your sewer line is cracked, hurt, and may have a partial blockage. Smearing stuff on the outside of the pipe is not the correct method to repair.

Water should not be able to get to the outside of the pipe, it should be a sealed system to the city main. The fact that you are getting signs of water says that something is not sealed. The only proper repair will involve breaking and digging until the problem is found and then replacing / repairing the break. To make sure that the pipe is not leaking from higher up, wrap several layers of brown grocery bag around the pipe held with a piece of tape. If the pipe is leaking from above the bag will show it as it gets wet.

DanG

oh gimmie a break. . the guy asked for any ideas that might solve a problem before he has to spend $$$ to have someone dig up his waste line. BACK to the problem, I agree w/ whoever mentioned a possible blockage in the line, snake the shtit out of it then if youu can keep everyone from using any faucets for a couple of hours JB weld would be a good possible fix. any hardware or auto parts will have it 2 tubes mix its an epoxy.

Reply to
Playintennis5274