SEALING FORMICA

My Formica countertops are getting a bit "long in the tooth". and they stain easy.

I'm just not ready to replace them with granite, marble, platinum, or whatever the latest fad in countertops.

Can anyone suggest a product that'll "seal" the Formica tops ? ( I vaguely remember the wife using SIMONIZE car wax )

???

Reply to
Anonymous

Be careful of any wax that contains a rubbing compound.

Reply to
krw

Works great on abused fiberglass shower stalls, too. Makes the gray soap scum take a lot longer to build up.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I use auto polish with an auto buffer. Rubbing compound (finest cut) will take out some knife scores if not too deep. The auto buffer makes fast work out of it, but its a good idea to mask off walls, areas, etc with painters tape/newspapers. Johnsons Paste wax can be used for a low sheen, but its protection is limited.

Reply to
Phisherman

Any good car wax will bring back the shine and the bright.

Reply to
DanG

Right, but rubbing compound with put a permanent haze on fiberglass (scratch it). Some car wax contains rubbing compound to take the oxidation off car paint.

The best ones are the PTFE types. I know a guy who sells a lot of real estate who shines all the kitchen and bathroom fixtures with marine wax containing PTFE before putting the homes on the market. It works.

Reply to
krw

I knew somebody was gonna say that as soon as I posted it- I probably should have replied to the previous message before rubbing compound was mentioned. Although on a really nasty and already-scarred shower stall, something with rubbing compound (used lightly, so as to not sand through gel coat), followed by a good layer of plain wax after, can buy you a few years.

Obvious disclaimer applies- don't wax the floor unless stall in question has the pebble-grain non-skid tread molded in, and even then step carefully for a few days. Or use one of those drain-through non-skid mats on the floor. (a pain, because they are still mold breeders.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers