SD 9500 stops working, has power

When I tried to open the door, it moved about three inches then stopped. It has

120 to it, 24 v to the wall switch but does not activate with the wall switch or remote. I waited an hour and no change. Any Ideas? Thanks, Mark
Reply to
Mark

Must we have a secret code to know what an SD 9500 is? I'm going to guess it may be a garage door? If so, check the safety reflectors to see if they are properly aligned.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe it is Genie 1/2 Hp GDO circa pre '93 probably. First thing to check; does the door move freely if disengaged from opener?, safety beam if there is, working?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I get that sometimes in the late afternoon when the setting suns shines directly into the safety reflector.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Then you should witch around safety T beam in position. Let the transmitter face the sun.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Good idea! Will add it to my ToDo list :-)

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

Yes it's a garage door, has no safety eyes and the door opens manually with no trouble other than the weight of it. Genie says it's does not support this model anymore so I'm leaning towards just replacing it rather than do a piece by piece thing. Thnaks for your help! Mark

Reply to
Mark

Where was the 120V test taken? Does the light light (assuming it has one)? That is power to the unit not just the plug/outlet if were faulty cord/connection.

If the motor doesn't even try on the pushbutton switch, and there is power, you're down to a fuse perhaps or the controller. If the motor tries then it's a possible gearing failure causing a lockup or similar.

Tried w/ door disconnect lever pulled?

Oh, last thought...if it were a firmware problem, often unplugging and leaving for a few minutes then powering back up will cure it -- but if it does it once it's good bet it'll do it again and become more frequent unless just had a power glitch or something by happenstance.

BTW, w/o the safety "eyes" it has to be 30-yr or older, roughly. I just replaced the last one of that age here a year or two ago; it finally did just give up the ghost and couldn't find any more salvaged old Stanley controllers to keep it going with (for years the local door shop owner had a supply of old ones he took out and kept for parts (if you saw his shop you'd understand he never throws _anything_ out, including trash :)) but these were so old he'd run out, too...

I was just as happy w/o them; I always just mount the two together aligned on a little board and tie it up by the unit out of the way...out here there's too much other stuff like the stray tumbleweed or whatnot blowing across the doors at the wrong time to just be too annoying. With no little kids and a reversing switch anyway, don't see the need.

Reply to
dpb

I put my 'eyes' up about 2 feet off the ground. High enough so that if I don't get the truck all the way in the light may stop the door. The garage has a very small space left after I put the truck in it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That'll work for some purposes like the tumbleweed (unless it's a full-size one, of course :( ) but I also like to be able to pull the car in and close the door then go out the back to the farmyard w/o having to walk around and thru the "inside" yard to get there. It's a pita to try to either step over or duck under the beam, especially as I get older and less spry!!! :)

The trucks are in the barn and elevator driveways which have sliding doors; only the cars have overheads...there's a block in the garage for them so know you're in when you're in. Even the 'full-size' Lucerne has oodles of room in the garage now as small as stuff has gotten -- the '60s and '70s Buicks/Chryslers of folks "not so much!" :)

The pickups are too wide to fit the garages; the Buick Enclave (their AWD SUV) is in the _just_ barely category on width altho it's plenty short enough.

Reply to
dpb

What are you doing to close the door and walk out ? Do you hit the close button and then run fast to beat the door closing ? If the door is already open and you walk through the beam nothing hapens if it is not in the closing cycle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On 05/15/2015 4:14 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

Ayup... :) Doesn't have to be _very_ fast, it runs pretty slow. Do have to duck a mite, but that's it. I've thought of putting another button at the rear but never got one of those round tuit thingies...

Reply to
dpb

Solved that problem when I installed a new opener. I have a remote with a keypad on it. Just enter the code from the outside and open or close the door.

Guess that you could put a button near the door on the inside and just reach over the beam.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That beam is very important or the government would not mandate it. To protect it, I put the sensors up in the rafters so nothing would disturb it. And there is a button inside

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Where I worked we had an elevator with doors on the outside. The sun would cause that problem a times. Could not switch the sensors. Stupid door thought someone was in the door and they would start to close, then open back up. Someone would have to stand outside and block the sun so the elevator could be used.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I may build a little cardboard hat to place on top of the receiver so the sun can't get to it.

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

"build" with cardboard? Good one! Made a "hood" with tuctape. ^L^

Reply to
bob_villa