screws or nails for exterior stairs?

I'm rebuilding my exterior stairs, and will be joining treated 2x lumber. Should I use screws or nails to join the stringers to the supports? How about for attaching the treads?

thanks

Reply to
sluggo

With the TORX head deck screws and an impact driver, predrilling only wastes time unless you are putting the fastener perilously close to an edge, say 1/2" or so. You can bury the screw in the wood as deep as you wish without a countersink. The screws have serrations on the taper below the head making countersinks unnecessary. Takes a bit of easy on the trigger to set them just flush at first. Some of the longer screws I use are high tensile 4 inchers, slim enough to avoid splits. There are even TORX head finishing screws at our local lumber yard. Great for fussy trim work where the usual hammer and nail set routine winds up looking messy. IMO, some impressive new products.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

For pine or softwoods, no. But properly-sized pilot holes can offer some advantages.

Reply to
Phisherman

What type of screws should be used attaching the hanger to ledger board?

Reply to
kerrywilson18090

If you're attaching a metal hanger, I'd recommend using nails. Not screws. Nails dont break under side pressure like many screws do. (Particularly those black drywall screws).

Reply to
Paintedcow