screwing cable onto tv or vcr: how to, when cramped position?

Last night was trying to screw a cable (connector) onto the tv. Couldn't do it -- hands too big, crowded space.

(Wife did it.)

Question: professionals, how do *they* do it?

Special tool? eg something that clamps *around* the nut, with some kind of belt around it that you pull and which thus turns the nut?

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

Radio Shack (etc) has push-on cable connectors.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

I case you want to mess up the signal with bad connections.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Warren Weber

On 29 Oct 2004 17:44:50 -0400 "David Combs" used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: alt.home.repair

There are special tools:

But normally if you start at the corner and work your way out you'll have room. It's analogous to "not painting yourself in a corner".

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Reply to
G. Morgan

Helps to jiggle cable in and out, releasing friction, so that socket turns easier. Tension on the cable will create drag on moveable part of connector.

Reply to
Roger

Damn, I have always wondered exactly that; while cursing those cables that take me 2 hours to screw on. But, I have been too embarressed to ask. I just figured I was clumsy.

I might buy one of those $8 tools. thanks for asking.

Reply to
toller

The push on connectors can cause a lot of signal ingress back into the cable plant. Not a good thing. Some MSO's will put filters that block out certain frequencies so it doesn't feed back to them, others don't. Still it is always a good idea to use the right connectors, as it will help you out in the long run. That, and use quad shield RG-6. Accept no substitutes. :)

I work for a cable company, and one of our headend guys gave me what he called a "Church key" that looks like a extended socket, but with a groove running along the side that allows the actual cable to fit through and you can tighten the connector. It works great for small spaces. Here's a picture of what it looks like. That website refers to it as a "security shield tool" - I can see why the slang term is church key :)

Mark

Reply to
Mark Holbrook

If the outer push ring makes a good contact around the threaded jack I don't see why it should leaf RF any more than a threaded connection.

Reply to
Greg

I have push on F connectors on all my TV's, VCR"s and my cable modem. They do NOT cause a problem if they are properly screwed on to the standard F connector on the cable. I had a go around with my cable company when the cable mode itself crapped out and the "tech" that came out took the push-on connector with him. I called the cable company and the yo-yo had to make a special trip to return it. As I told his boss, it wasn't the lousy buck for the connector it was the fact he had no right to take it. End of the rant. On with the discussion. It is pretty easy to design a little connector like that. The electrical requirement, from a transmission line point of view (after all it is a very small piece of transmission line) is that the correct ratio of the diameter of the inside conductor and the outside shield's inner diameter is what establishes the 75 ohm requirement. That is a handbook lookup. The other consideration is the mechanical integrity. At one end you need the right thread. At he other end you need a nice snug fit and a good overlap with the mate on the set. Unless one gets mauled I have never seen one that is either too loose or too short.

I do not believe that the haranguers who say these connectors are no good have ever had a course in transmission line theory.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

this sounds like pure audiophool talk.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so!

Advising you to avoid The Boogie Man / dubious "problems" * and * Go Overkill / Waste Money on biggest, bestest wire!

It has all of the distinguishing marks LOL

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Move the TV? Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Thanks, all!

I too will get one of those tools.

Being 6'4", with hands to match, I *need* one.

Thanks again!

David

Reply to
David Combs