Scotts Weed Control Fertilizer Killed Our Lawn!! HELP!!!

I don't remember what the setting number pertains to, but you still don't seem to be using the right calculation. First, if the entire lot, WITH HOUSE, is about 5000 sq. ft., you need to consider the lot size MINUS the area of the house, driveway, flowerbeds, etc.

If you take the actual area you covered, you will know how much you applied with the setting at 5.5. I would try, next time, setting it at about 1.5 and cover the lawn going both ways - small enough to repeat if needed as it is better to apply too little than too much. You may also want to avoid any fertilizer until your grass starts looking a little pale (not as deep green). A drop spreader might be better if you have hedges or flower beds that you don't want to throw herbicides into. Also, liquid herbicides or insecticides sometimes go on better with a hose-end sprayer, as you can hit only the areas that need it and you are done.

Reply to
norminn

The only real advantage to rotary is that they cover more area faster. With substances that are hard to visually see when you put them down, the rotary will help prevent sharp lines where you miss. The drop is much more accurate - as long as you don't miss anyplace - then you get stripes.

Reply to
Still Just Me...

.. I'd say it's more likely it wasn't _really_ at the setting thought it was than there's anything fundamentally irreparable about it.

All the numbers are for are a starting guide -- you should _always_ start low and measure an area and calibrate-in the actual drop rate.

There's no guarantee if you toss this and spend the $$ the brand new one won't do the same if you don't pay attention to it more closely than apparently you and hubby have done...starting w/ figuring out how much you should actually use _before_ starting.

--

Reply to
dpb

I gave the neighbor a good drop spreader.

I like this one for a small lawn.

pic:

Oren

..and burns on the turns.. unless one pays attention..

Reply to
Oren

No, Michelle, the spreader didn't malfunction -- its *operator* malfunctioned. Two 5,000-sf bags is enough to treat 10,000 square feet. Your entire lot is only half that; subtract the house, garage, driveway, etc. and the lawn is maybe one-third that much.

The problem, plain and simple, is that you bought somewhere between two and three times as much fertilizer as you should have used, then applied it all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yeah, but they saved the cost of the test to see if they needed *any* fertilizer.

All in all it is a pretty good lesson learned all around.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Jim Elbrecht wrote: ...

I've _NO_ confidence there's been any learning, unfortunately...certainly little if any indication of it, anyway. :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Just calibrate it dont junk it. But why are you using a drop unit for that much land, or maybe you are not it is a rotary unit, are you sure its not rotary, my cheapo scotts rotary does near 4x as much in one pass as a drop unit, so I walk 75% less. I called scotts to calibrate mine as it came set to high [ Scotts makes alot more money this way] Best is calibrate and underfeed always, that "scotts system" of a bag a season is unessary in my opinion for most. Actualy for many, and me, lawn treatments are a scam. Best is mulch grass, and mulch leaves and you are fertilised and done, You still didnt remove the house and everything else from your sq ft figures.

Reply to
ransley

"that much"?? 50x100 is a *small* lot.

Reply to
Doug Miller

For a drop spreader its alot, a rotary scotts will only need 25% the walking and be easier to get even work.

Reply to
ransley

Time you take out the house, driveway and other non-lawn areas there won't be enough space left of that lot to get a full head of steam up to get the rotary to spin and half the product will end up either in the street, on the neighbor's yard or the driveway.

You could effectively fertilize/seed/whatever that area w/ hand casting by the time you got the spreader filled.

--

Reply to
dpb

replying to MICHELLE H., Alan wrote: It killed my lawn as well. The product is WEED KILLER it does not feed anything, there are countless killed lawn stories on the met regarding SCOTTS weed and feed. THEE COMPANY NEEDS TO HAVE A LAWSUIT against them . It is WEED KILLER and will kill your lawn, it is falsely advertised

Reply to
Alan

It doesn't claim to feed anything, it's weed killer, not fertilizer or a weed-and-feed product. I've never used any of those products. For weeds, I use a tank sprayer and a weed killer for turfgrass. That puts the product where it's needed instead of spewing it over the whole lawn. Even if you're lawn was full of weeds, I think any granular weed killer is a bad idea. It depends on contact, on the particles sticking to the weeds and that's dubious at best. Spray it on and you know it's on there.

Reply to
trader_4