Saving Oil Installing Flue Mechanism to Stop Cold Air From Boiler?

Hi,

I'm not sure what these are called but it's a device that goes in your flue and closes after the boiler finished cycling off. It keeps the cold, outside air from entering the chimney and making the boiler cold. I was wondering if they are worth it and legal in NY? Also, what is the proper name?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
traderfjp

"Flue damper"- closes when burner shuts off, and opens before burner fires. In fact, prevents draft through firebox and up heated flue when burner is off. I've heard that they can prevent much waste, from folks in ME.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

I'm not certin about this, but I thought I heard they were illegal because of potential malfunctions.

True story: One winter a co-worker of mine and his wife both got sick. Stayed home from work, and just kept getting sicker, major headaches, etc. Then one night the CO detector starts blaring. Shut off the gas to the house, open every window in the house (in the middle of winter), and call 911. Fire dept comes and within a few minutes determines that the flue damper for the furnace had malfunctioned and was blocking CO from escaping up the chimney. Gas company came and removed the flue damper, and everything was fine. After I heard that story, the first thing I did was go home and remove the flue damper that was on the vent for our gas water heater.

Ken

Reply to
Ken