Safety tape for steps, not sticking

A couple months ago, I bought a couple rolls of scratchy safety tape at Harbor Freight, on close out. Figured I could use some safety tape for the wooden steps outside my home.

Knew the adhesive was probably less than perfect, so I use a bunch of Arrow T-50 staples in addition. Still, the tape came loose, and now about half of the tape is ripped, flopping around, or missing.

What's the technique for adhering safety tape to weathered wood steps? Some kind of adhesive in addition? Surface prep? Torch down job?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is the problem that you want the tape to stay in place even when you use the steps, or that it won't stick even if you don't use the steps??? Indoors or outdoors?? Cmon, you know we need more information?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Stormin, I would scrape the loose, flaky junk away and give the grit strip and the step a healthy shot of spray adhesive. Mask the step where you don't want the sticky stuff. Tape on wood is not for the long haul, but this should keep it stuck as long as it lasts. I would not use staples.

I've seen several done with strips of expanded metal. Works great until you need to shovel snow.

Reply to
DanG

On 11/26/2011 7:59 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

I'd suggest the gritted paint instead. Of course, will need serious prep work.

Reply to
dpb

Best sure-footing cover for weathered wood steps is coconut matting held down by battens.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

"Don Phillipson" wrote

Replacement with bar grating is good, too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Something to consider: Shoot nails from the opposite side of step so they protrude an inch or so on the side you step. Do this in inch patterns. Would be a fantastic way to keep people from slipping on the stairs.

Reply to
Home Guy

Follow these directions:

1) Scape off all the old tape and crap on the step. 2) Sand the step to clean wood. 3) Prime the wood with oil based primer. 4) Paint with 2 coats of outdoor poly Porch and Floor paint. 5) Apply the 3M safety tape you should have used years ago. 6) Continue skipping blithely down the steps even in bad weather in perfect confidence.

There now, wasn't that easy? You're welcome.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
dadiOH

Tape don't stick to wood, you mooyuk!

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Tell him, not me.

Reply to
dadiOH

You a mooyuk too? Thought I had snipped properly. Apparently not.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

CLOSE OUT ! Buy a crap reject & you want quality ??

Jerry

Jerry Ohio-2

It isn't a question of snipping, it is a question of replying to the correct post.

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, I for one am certainly happy that is cleared up.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B