Running 2 electrical cables through same hole and staple?

I'm putting in a couple of new electrical circuits in a new room. What is the accepted practice when you are running two cables in the same direction? I have drilled a hole in the studs to run one cable, but with a 3/4 inch hole, I can fit two cables in the same hole. Is this the right way to go, or is the norm to drill another hole a few inches up and run the second cable separately?

Same question with respect to stapling cables coming in and out of the boxes. Is it the norm to staple each cable separately to the stud, or to secure wires running in the same direction from the box with a single staple?

Reply to
AC

The box will hold the answer on the staples (listed for one or two) but it will really be a picky inspector who calls it. The other issue is "bundling" the cables. As long as you are really only doing 2 (4 current carrying wires) it is not an issue but when you start getting up around 4-5 (9 current carrying conductors) be sure you fan them out between support points so they are not bundled more than 24" at a time. That is one reason why you see those fans of cables stapled separately near the panel

Reply to
gfretwell

Code states that the cable must be secure within maximum distances from a box and every so often, with the exception for fishing cables through old work.

A staple intended for a single cable will not likely be secure enough if made to hold two cables in the same way that a staple intended for use with a flat cable (14/2 or 12/2) would not likely be secure enough if used on a not-so-flat calbe (14/3 or 12/3).

Can you use a larger staple (like ones intended for xx/3 cables for holding a pair of xx/2 cables? Theoretically, yes. I have done so often enough without any issues from the inspector. However, I have heard of inspectors who were picky about such things.

In other words, your mileage may vary.

Don't wait until inspection time, once you have pulled a permit, the inspector becomes a source of "free" consulting. I quote "free" because you have to pay for the permit, but inpectors are available (usually for the first hour each morning) to take calls and answer questions. Ask the question to the same person who will be doing the inspection and you cannot go wrong.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

I once was in a house where the owner ran all the electrical for an addition. By trade he was a verizon linesman. Well he ran all the wires around the room in one hole. All the wires were neatly bundled together with cable ties every 6" or so. At one point he had about six cables all bundled together very neatly. I don't know if he passed inspection or not.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Yes

There are staples made for 2 cables "S-2". I was using them in my basement yesterday. If you already have a bunch for single wire, go with those, they re cheap

Reply to
Rudy