Rough Service MY ASS !!!!

I just went to the kitchen cabinet to get a lightbulb. I can not believe what happened. You know how bulbs come in those cardboard boxes, holding 2 bulbs, and pretty well padded. I have dropped those things numerous times and never broken a bulb, not even on concrete.

I just knocked down the same sort of package, with 2 ROUGH SERVICE bulbs. It only fell about 4 feet and onto a linoleum (on wood) floor. One of the bulbs literally exploded, the largest piece of remaining glass is probably about 1/4".

Rough Service MY ASS !!!!

The only thing rough about them is the price I had to pay, compared to a standard bulb.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

I hear ya.

I used to buy those for my droplight all the time and found regulat bulbs lasted just as long (if not longer).

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

The "rough service" designation applies to the filaments, not to the glass. The filaments are made to take somewhat more impact while hot, without burning out.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

So you learned your lesson, don't drop glass lightbulbs. Now, go whine about something else.

Reply to
wkearney99

Heck I have that beat. I was using a set of Chisels for several weeks with great success when one day I was working inside a cold warehouse and the chisel rolled off a three foot counter top onto the concrete "horizontal" and shattered. The only thing I found was the blade and lots of plastic. I guess the load was only designed to be carried vertically to the tip. Needless to say the company replaced the chisel. BUT WEIRD

Reply to
HotRod

The price difference you mention is why you might not have had rough service bulbs. Some crooks want the high end bulbs at low end prices, so they switch them around in the boxes. You might have paid for rough service, and got ordinary bulbs.

Just like eggs, before I buy, I open the box and check. Good luck next time.

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

As you say, the bulb packages are pretty good, but the bulb is made out of thin glass.

There are several types of "rought service" bulbs on the market. At least one type has a plastic or rubberized coating that makes the bulb harder to break.

Most types, though, don't have the coating. In that case, "rough service" really means that the bulb filament is mounted so that shock and vibration won't cause it to fail as easily. Incandescent bulb filaments are fairly brittle and get more so as they burn.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

I found a rough service bulb with a coating on it and use it in my trouble light. Never have replaced it. Get some good ones.

Reply to
robmurr

This is Turtle.

The Rough service light bulbs are for rough service and not for high empact use. if you don't drop it. It will out last 3 or 4 regular bulbs.

Also all rough service light bulbs are not the same. Look at it and see if it has 130 volt rating and it is a good one. if it has a 120 volt or a 125 volt rating. they are nothing at all and just trash. Look at the rating to see if they are any good !

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE