roofing question

This question pertains to asphalt shingles. I have seen some roofs with the metal drip edge and some without. Is the metal drip edge always installed, implying that no drip edge is an oversight or worse? It seems to me that w/o the drip strip the rain would wick under the bottom layers and cause grief. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson

Reply to
Sligo

On 1/26/2005 1:08 PM US(ET), Sligo took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I can tell you that is it 'code' where I live. I even had to install it on two sheds that I built.

Reply to
willshak

Drip edge was almost never used back in the days when roofs were constructed with 1 X stock.

I am not sure when it came into wide use. If I had an older home with an older roof without it I would not worry. When I replaced the roof I would use drip edge even if the roof was 1 X lumber.

If you have seen a fairly new roof built with OSB or plywood and it did not have drip edge you have seen one piss poor roofing job.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt