Roofer Contract Dispute

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:05:51 GMT, Norminn scribbled this interesting note:

Who wants a face full of dust, dirt, and rat droppings?

John Willis

Your problem is that (apparently) the contract said ":sufficient" soffit venting, an imprecise term. If you wanted so many square inches you needed to say so. If you wanted "per shingle manufacturer's recommendations" you should have said so. Your house had vents, you wanted more. Did you state how much more?

Sounds like if the estimator clearly understood your specifications, there would have been a higher charge for the job. In general, I think you should pay for the extra vents, but that there is a Q if they were properly installed.

BTW, as for complaining about how cheap the vents are (so therefore you should not be charged), turn it around, if they are so cheap you could have bought them and hired the roofer to "install soffit vents furnished by owner".

If you want to take it to court, I suppose you could try to hang your hat on the manufacturer's recommendations, but again that doesn't sound like it was clearly stated in the contract.

Say you are willing to pay but that you want them reinstalled with bigger holes. Of course cutting a big slot in the soffit may weaken it.