Roof Shingles And Underneath Rubberized Layer ?

Well, I might be just wanting to get to know you better. OTOH, I may be baiting you into a trap. Mostly curious if you're progressive, or conservative.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why didn't you change the subject line?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You know, I thought of that about a second after I clicked send. Sorry about that.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have no idea, but most membrane manufacturers recommend it:

In a cold climate, I suppose you could get ice damming on the gable end overhangs, and that water could make it's way sideways under the shingles. Water has an amazing ability to get inside a home. :)

We live in a fairly warm climate and only have a 6" overhang on the gable ends. So I did not use the membrane along my rake edges. If I had membrane leftover I might have used it there, but I didn't want to buy a full roll just to do those low risk edges.

In addition to guarding against ice damming, it also seals around nails that penetrate the roof. That's why it's smart to use it places with high water exposure, roof valley's, dormer or chimney intersections, etc.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

I mentioned Mexicans because they showed up on time and did a good job of it. I believe in giving credit to the workers.

When my dad died I had a realitor sell the house. They asked me if it made a difference to me about the people. I told them the only color I was interisted in was green.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I felt sorry for the men that did my roof as they had to carry the shingles up the ladders. The roof is about a 10/12 pitch. Think that is what it is called. It is not a 45 deg angle, but close to it. I thought they may fall off, but they did ot use any safety equipment. Then did have a couple of ropes over the roof and I did see them gram them a time or two when they had a buldle of shingles over their sholder.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'll ask again: Is there a reason you mentioned that they were Mexican?

What difference does the nationality of the workers make? Were you giving credit to the workers or to Mexicans? Were you surprised that a bunch of Mexicans showed up on time and did a good job? I still don't see the reason for mentioning their nationality.

Why didn't you just say:

"6 - 8 workers showed up on time and did a good job of it. I have to give them credit."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, I think it is a good idea to see what's going on around you. With the huge influx of illegals here, some towns have gone from hardly a Mexican in sight, to having a large population to the point that you see mostly Mexicans walking the streets. If you suddenly start seeing jobs that were done 20 years ago by workers that were more representative of the general population, the citizens, to one where they are almost all Mexicans, likely illegal, maybe it's time to figure out that something is wrong, immigration laws aren't being enforced, etc. Isn't it reasonable to look at a Mexican roofing crew and say, gee, those could be American workers? Twenty years ago, they were American workers. And don't tell us that it's not likely that the workers are illegal, with 11 to 30 mil here, they are obviously working and we all know what's really going on.

Reply to
trader_4

Must be working for a really cheap and dumb company. Around here they typically use power lifts that work with a ladder and get the shingles up there easily. The cost of that lift would quickly pay for itself in productivity.

Reply to
trader_4

You are mixing up 2 totally different situations. AFAICT Ralph's comment had nothing to do with illegal workers or American jobs being taken by immigrants (legal or illegal) or him not being aware of what's going on around him. He certainly didn't sound pissed that the workers weren't American. In fact, he noted he was pleased by their work ethic and the job that they did.

Nothing you say about our immigration laws is wrong but when someone does something for you or you pay for a service do you say things like...?

"I was in a restaurant and a Polish waitress came to my table." "My transmission went bad and a French guy fixed it." "I was in the grocery store and the Italian lady rang up my items."

The subject of the thread was about different types of roofing materials. Ralph mentioned Home Advisor, various quotes, length of warranties, types of materials and, oh yeah, Mexicans.

The nationality of the workers is irrelevant to the subject being discussed, as it usually is in cases like this.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

if trump somehow deported all the illegals just ponder for a moment the disruption it would cause.

crops not harvested, roofs not done.

real americans will drive costs up exponentially. and building the wall?

mexico will never pay for it.......

trump will bankrupt america if elected

Reply to
bob haller

Well, the first question would be was it a Polish restaurant? If so they it's nothing worth noting. If it's not a Polish restaurant, and all the workers are Polish, then sure, I'd notice it and might include it in my remarks about my experience there. Currently, AFAIK, we don't have a problem with illegal Polish people or French people overrunning the country. For example, that isn't a topic of the presidential campaign, is it? But Mexican illegals, how they are taking jobs, what to do about it is very much a hot topic. So, I don't see anything wrong with saying that the roofing crew was Mexican.

So comments not directly relevant to the subject aren't allowed? That would reduce what gets posted here by 90%.

Reply to
trader_4

It would be a huge disruption for sure if it was done in Trump's stated one or two year time frame. Even if done longer, without a guest worker program or similar, I agree there would be a lot of problems. But don't worry about it happening. Trump is blowing a lot of smoke up the asses of the Trumpies. He knows it will never happen and he would quickly compromise on it. He's already doing that, now saying that it's negotiable. Apparently he said a lot more to the NY Times a couple months ago, which is why he won't allow the transcript of that interview to be released. This problem is fixable, without smearing Mexicans as a bunch of rapists and similar rhetoric. But Trump has a scorched earth policy and he doesn't care about Mexicans, you, me or anyone but himself.

Reply to
trader_4