I had a couple shingles fly off in a windstorm, then it snowed. The slow thaw was perfect for leaking into the attic. I didn't find it until I smelled something, then found the guest bedroom closet ceiling almost completely green with mold.
I took most of the things out of the closet, sprayed the ceiling with full strength clorox, and left a small electric heater in there. Fixed the roof, then gained access through the gable end sheathing. Pulled out all the wet insulation I could find/reach, (the insulation was blown in, gray looking, and a little on the itchy side. I don't know what it is?). Had a few nice weather days so I screwed some wire lathe over the gable end hole to keep birds and critters out, but allowed it to air out some more.
Before bad weather came again I laid down 3 1/2" fiberglass with no vapor barrier just to give it a little insulation and still ventilation and closed up the hole (for now) The closet ceiling has been dry and up to about 100F+ for a week and only a few dark spots show were there was a lot more mold. Also up in the attic had some mold but was out of clorox and bad weather coming.
So finally here is the question, If I go in the top again and spray it with clorox, let it dry, and insulate will I be OK, or will I always have mold spores there just waiting for some moisture? And should I remove the drywall in the closet so I can clean and clorox things better and replace the drywall, or will it be OK with the dry chlorine left from the evaporated clorox ready to kill any mold if it gets damp?