Retrieving screwdriver from toilet drain pipe?

i have some copper lines now 60 years old that are paper thin and leaking in places. nothing last forever i just wish they had been heavier from the get go

Reply to
hallerb

I was shocked at this too! I saw on This Old House San Fran have bans on PVC waste lines. I'm guessing some copper lobby group has deep pockets. :D

tom @

Tom The Great

Only marginally related, but if you haven't seen the movie "Snatch", go rent it. Amazing. You'll thank me.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The strong unions in San Francisco have made sure that the City is always about 30-40 years behind the rest of the country regarding building codes. Vested interest. It is what keeps us from having affordable health plans etc. Interestingly the rest of the cities in the S. F. Bay Area have broken semi-free of the union dominance and their codes are quite modern, at worst some of them are typically one update (four year cycle) behind.

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

think earthquake. plastic breaks, copper bends.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

imho:

I wonder, if you do enough damage to a building to be concerned about 'bending' piping, I think you don't have to worry about broken pvc piping. That building should be evacuated.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

For that reason, I've been buying thicker copper as I replace piping.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

What's the type of pipe? Later in the thread, we're told it's copper, but I am not sure that was you writing. If it's copper, get the biggest magnet you can from the hardware. Also buy a plumber's drain snake. Atach the magnet to the snake with several tie straps (cut the loose ends off). Send the drain snake down. Use some common sense, and some of your other five senses to figure out when you stuck the screw driver. Withdraw it up the pipe very slowly.

I've never done this. But I did score a free screw driver and pair of diags someone dropped into the wall. Cept, with this moment I used a magnet and string.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

:> :> have you considered a bulldozer? level home and start over :> :>

:> :> i am sorry this stiory is priceless and after today i needed a good :> :> laugh :> :>

:> : :> :Bulldozers are for babies. Douse the place with gasoline and break out :> the :> :hot dogs. :>

:> Oh, gee, now you're bringing back memories of Goodfellas and Office :> Space (pyromaniacal episodes in those flicks). :>

: :Only marginally related, but if you haven't seen the movie "Snatch", go rent :it. Amazing. You'll thank me.

I own it on DVD. Only watched it once, though, over two years ago. Have to rewatch it. Snazzy British comic action thriller with very snappy dialogue is my recollection. Very impressive.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Or using a set of torx screwdrivers =)

Reply to