Resurfacing a Concrete Driveway

My rather large concrete driveway has a lot of cracks and loose pieces. Assuming that the pieces were properly secured (now that the ground beneath them has settled for 20 years), is there a way to put a new surface on top of an existing driveway? My understanding is that a second layer of concrete has to be a certain thickness to prevent cracking and to properly adhere to the concrete beneath it. Or, how does a second layer adhere to a first?

Covering the driveway with asphalt is not an option. If there are other ideas or suggestions, please offer them. The ground as migrated around the existing driveway over the years, so raising the height a couple of inches would not be a big deal.

Reply to
mcp6453

Funny you asked. I just had mine done yesterday. There's a nationwide company called Decorative Concrete. They can put a smooth or decorative finish on your concrete. Mine had holes, cracks and spawling. First they gave the concrete an acid wash. Then they powerwashed. After that they applied a milky substance that the concrete workers call 'milk'. This is like a glue that holds the new concrete to the old. They spray a primer coat of concrete (you can have it colored any color you want). When that dries, they spray another coat of concrete. When dry, the apply two coats of concrete sealer. It came out terrific and we love it.

Here's their site and you can locate one of their contractors there. Mine was from Asheville, NC and was fantastic.

Reply to
Sanity

Where site?

Reply to
hibb

Since the base layer of concrete has cracked ANY coating you put over top WILL ALSO CRACK:(

So top coating is a waste of money unless your trying to pretty it up to sell.

If your going to b there for years its far better off to just replace the driveway.

Reply to
hallerb

Sorry:

Sanity

Sanity

Not true if done properly. I had my driveway redone in Florida and 15 years later, when I sold the house the driveway was still good and uncracked. If the driveway just has hairline cracks they can be fixed. If the driveway is cracked because it wasn't poured properly, ie: rebar not used, etc., and the driveway is sinking, nothing can help it except a new driveway.

Reply to
Sanity

Thanks. I bookmarked it in case I decide to go ahead.

Reply to
hibb