replacing jet well pump

I have no details on my current pump.. I have no information about the depth of the foot valve but the well is 175 feet deep.. My question is if a pump is rated up to 90 feet deep what happens if you exceed that depth? I assume that all pumping doesn't stop if you are at a depth of 95 feet for example. Rich

Reply to
richandellen

The pump will give you less water as it gets deeper since it has to work harder. Pumps usually have a rating of X pressure at a certain head height. A pump that gives you 12 gallons per minute at 5 feet may give you 10 at 25 feet (at the same pressure)

Go to

and search for well pumps for some specifications.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have a jet pump, it must be a double line type, which has the venturi down in the well as single line jet pumps only work in shallow wells. If you replace the pump, just leave the venturi where it is. Personally, I'd replace the whole setup with a submersible

Reply to
RBM

Second that. Jet pumps are ok for shallow wells, but submersibles are better for deep wells. With the two pipes you currently have, one gets reused as conduit for the electrical wires to the new submersible pump and the other of course for the water. Easy conversion and you no longer listen to the jet pump whirring in the basement.

Reply to
Pete C.

Would "they" really bother to use the "down" pipe for conduit?

Most "pump guys" just keep a BIG roll of 10-3 w/ground on the truck. The wire doesn't need conduit.

Maybe.

Usually, at the "fringers" of the service envelop of a particular pump, the maker (or someone else) has a pump that centers on that same point. Unless you have already spent the money it pays the get the optimum pump for your needs.

Reply to
John Gilmer

"They" certainly have in many conversions I've seen. Perhaps where you are it's different, but in the area I'm familiar with it was quite common for the two pipes from the jet pump to go under slab and foundation footings on it's way to the well. Most certainly the easiest thing to do is pull the new wire through one of the pipes.

If it's UF it doesn't need conduit, but it needs a minimum burial depth. I've also never seen type UF used down well so you'd need a splice at the top of the casing.

Reply to
Pete C.