Replacing Furnace Press relief valve (Help!)

Hi snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-May-05 At About 17:00:21, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote to All Subject: Re: Replacing Furnace Press relief valve (Help!)

t> From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

t> Thanks Edwin. Since it's in the basement all the water is above t> this. Should I try draining some more? It is coming out like a t> faucet turned on about 75%. _stupid_ question...should I turn the t> furnace off? The pilot light should stay on, yes? If drain the t> water out could I damage anything? Thanks again.

You really should have it checked by a pro first. there may be a reason that water is coming from the relief valve and it may not be defective. also, if you drain the water it will also need to be bled after you are done and this can be tricky for someone who doesn't know how to bleed it properly.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Edwin, hope you are having a nice day

On 29-May-05 At About 09:13:30, Edwin Pawlowski wrote to All Subject: Re: Replacing Furnace Press relief valve (Help!)

EP> From: "Edwin Pawlowski"

EP> He is working on a water valve, not a boiler. Service technician may EP> not know any more about it that he does. If the OP is not EP> qualified, a plumber would be a better option. I'd agree if he was EP> fooling with ignition systems or flames and gas valves.

Yes Ed But remember that a boiler is running at usually 180 degrees and you just told him there is no reason to shut down the pilot which also means it could possibly come on. also what if he doesn't get all of the pressure out and pulls the valve and sprays hot water on himself?

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com, hope you are having a nice day

On 31-May-05 At About 03:52:04, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote to All Subject: Re: Replacing Furnace Press relief valve (Help!)

t> From: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

t> Beating a dead horse here. The gauge on the side of the furnace says t> 21 PSI with a temp of 100. SInce I have the water intake shut off t> and water isn't spewing out the pressure relief valve can I assume t> the pressure relief valve is OK?

It probably is but there is still a problem or it wouldn't have leaked before. you should have a pro check it and repair the problem.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2