Replacing bathroom faucet question?

I am replacing my bathroom faucets. I've done this before, but this time I can't seem to budge the nuts on the bottom of the old faucet handles. There's barely enough room to get any of my wrenches on there, but when I do I can't seem to get them turning. Is there any tool that I can use that would make this job easier or am I going to have to take the counter top off in order to get this done? Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

Don & Lucille

"Joe B." wrote in news:YZFpk.18047$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com:

Is it a plastic nut or metal. Assume metal?

Tried a basin wrench?

Reply to
Red Green

On 8/16/2008 5:31 PM Red Green spake thus:

That's the tool to use. If you buy one, get a good one, not a cheap one.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

If the nuts are old, corroded zinc ones, even the basin wrench may not budge them.

In that case, chuck a long drill bit in the drill and drill a couple of holes in the edge of the nut. Don't worry about damaging the faucet threads.

When the drill has weakened the nut enough, the nut can be split or pried apart.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Either that or a dremmel never leaves my case good for toilet bolts too .

Reply to
jim

You can cut the faucet connectors off with a Dremmel cutoff wheel. Replace the lines, shut off valves along with the faucet.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go to Home Depot to see if I can find a basin wrench. If that doesn't work, I'll move on to the dremmel.

Joe

Reply to
Joe B.

On 8/16/2008 7:53 PM Joe B. spake thus:

You might want to look for a Dremel instead.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Perhaps someone more powerful like a grinder. You have to destroy the faucet from the top down. A Dremel would like a bit of time just to remove a "frozen" nut.

A good basin wrench is needed to put in the new faucet anyway so ... .

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer