Replacing above ground pool liner - not sure what to order

Hi all,

Our above ground pool has been basically linerless for almost a year. Two winters ago, my first winter in my home, I drained the water from the pool not knowing it would ruin the liner. Now the liner has dried and cracked and is basically falling apart... but I'd like to replace it.

In measuring the pool I found it's 24' round and the walls are 4 foot tall. The pool slopes down in the middle to about 6 feet though, so is there a difference between liners that are flat and ones that slope? Also here's a picture of the liner and the way it's attached to the pool walls:

. What is this called? I know there's several different ways of connecting the liner.

I'm going by a local pool place, but I"m thinking I might be able to get the liner cheaper online. Any pros and cons to either? Also I already talked to some local guys, and it appears that the average cost for intsalling the liner is about $350. Is this average?

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Sam Alex

Reply to
Alex

In my case, ordering online was a LOT cheaper, and I think the quality was better too.

I ordered mine from poolstore.com.

On the ordering page, they explain the various hanging systems.

They aren't hard to install. Take special care to get the bottom of the pool smooth and smooth out the liner before you start to fill it. Any creases will make an automatic pool cleaner not work.

I believe any kind of liner will work with a dug out center but I have no experience with that.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It's been many years since I had a pool like that. One problem I had was the liner rotting just above the water line. When replacing a liner I cut a piece, making an apron covering the new liner all around the pool.

Reply to
Rich256

Is this why one of my neighbors doesn't, iirc, drain his pool in the winter?

He lives on a corner, but his house faces the side street, so he has a real back yard, unlike many corner homes. He has an above ground pool, and an above ground wading pool for toddlers. It's full at least all summer. No fence. I drive by and never see any kids nearby, but this seems like a tragedy waiting to happen. You guys know how tactful I am. Any suggestions on whether and how I should talk to this guy, whom I don't know at all.

Reply to
mm

Keeps the frost from heaving the bottom too. One *never* keeps a pool drained for more than a few hours.

This is to code in most areas (you could check). As long asthe access to the pool isn't left open. Many above ground pools have a ladder that lifts up and locks in place. Think of the sides of the pool as the fence. ;-) The wading pool is likely more of a problem.

Reply to
Keith

The ladder was probably up. I don't stop the car, and I can only see one side, but I don't remember a ladder. The ladder is probably on the other side, and up, or in the house. Thanks.

Maybe that was empty. Hard to tell from a moving car, even moving at

25 and only 40 feet from the pool.

I feel better now.

Reply to
mm