Replace Popcorn Ceiling --> Best Replacement?

Except patching up an existing popcorn ceiling and trying to make it match is still a challenge to me so I called in a pro and he said he couldn't make it match either. He wanted to do a complete spray job which cost just a little more than trying to match the existing so he wasn't looking for extra work.

Reply to
# Fred #

Come to think of it, I've seen popcorn everywhere except in kitchens and bathrooms. Don't think you want popcorn falling on you while taking a steamy shower or bath.

Reply to
# Fred #

Trust me, there are houses out there with popcorn everywhere, even in the closets and bathroom. Kitchens are the worst. Its one of the first things we remove when we pick up a property.

Reply to
Grandpa

Well, you wouldn't want to do it with an infant stuck in the crib in the corner, and anytime you're doing ANYTHING that kicks up a lot of dust, you should wear a mask, but that's as far as I'd bother going. Doesn't the normal removal technique also involve misting water onto the ceiling, to soften the stuff up and help keep the dust down?

Reply to
Goedjn

I sent a sample of mine to a local laboratory for testing. The cost was $50 and it came out clean. Now, I suppose they could have used other materials for the ceilings in different rooms, but the odds seem low and their are no certainties in life.

Reply to
Greg Esres

I certainly wouldn't want it in a kitchen or bathroom, but it does wonderful things for the acoustic properties of my home theater room.

ed

Reply to
Ed Chait

"Ed Chait" wrote

Uh, ed. You're supposed to WET it first.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Then, you are an idiot or you didn't pay attention in class. Asbestos fibers float in the air. They can't get dislodged individually and float around if they're wet.

How much do you make a year? Return it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Ed Chait" wrote

It's official. Idiots live in clusters. Even if it DOES NOT contain asbestos, taking it off while wet is the EASY way. Taking it off dry is more work, and not the suggested method.

Are you two related?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Post 1978 it is illegal to use asbestos in a house.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Can I have your golf clubs?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

My neighbor scraped all of it off his bedroom ceiling without wetting it at all.

This is far from being universal knowledge and I've never really seen a class called "popcorn ceiling removal 101."

In any case, thank you for continuing the thread, maybe it will help raise the consciousness over the issue.

Regards,

Ed Chait

Reply to
Ed Chait

Well, I thought I would comment on the issue based on the fact that some people may not be aware of the "suggested" method.

It seems I have ruffled your feathers, but I'm sure you can get over it in time.

ed:)

Reply to
Ed Chait

Reply to
gregshandyserv

Hi Sam

My name is Greg just w> Hello,

Reply to
gregshandyserv

Beware that older homes can have traces of asbestos in the popcorn ceiling. I suggest getting it tested (most professionals will include this in the estimate, and might even be required by law). If you will be doing this yourself, make sure to wear a mask. It's probably a good idea to seal off the room with plastic sheets as you're in for a lovely mess.

Reply to
gee.sucka.foo.spam

LISTEN PEOPLE!

Unless the popcorn has been painted, just wet it first, and IF there is any asbestos, it won't float around on the breeze. If it HAS been painted, just wear a good filter, and wet it when it hits the floor. Have fans running to suck air out of the room and blow it in at the same time.

One regular room does not require heroic steps or expensive testing. And the chances are that it doesn't have asbestos anyway.

The dust is the dangerous thing. Don't let it get dusty. Use either water or air flow.

And get it tested BEFORE you do the job if you're that afraid.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

anyasbestos, it won't float around on the breeze. If it HAS been painted, just

If you take some basic precautions it can be done without contaminating your house. You should secure plastic over the floor and walls, making a plastic bowl of sorts. Isolate the room and use plenty of water. An asbestos abatment contractor would be the best choice, and may be the only legal choice depending where you live and if you are in a free-standing stucture or in a multi unit structure(condo/appartment).

If you look at the first picture on the above page you can see a portion of the plastic setup looks like for popcorn removal.

Reply to
edwin_boyette