Replace coil springs in leather wingback chairs

i have a couple of leather wingback chairs. we can't sit in them much anymore since the seat is sagging due to broken coil springs. we had an estimate to fix them but it was more than what we paid so i am wanting to learn how to do it myself. where can i get the replacement coil springs? what is the procedure to replace them. thanks much....

Reply to
ardee

Buy a book on upholstery. Do a Google search too. The procedure is more than someone can go into on a newsgroup posting. Pictures help a lot. Like anything else, some people have the ability, others will not, but at least check it out.

One more thing. Getting them fixed properly may cost more than you paid for the chair because you will be getting a good job. The springs broke because they were low quality to begin with.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Easy to make 'em yourself.

Richard J Kinch

U Hau; rents vans one way. it costs more but might be worth it.

I reupholstered LOTS of furniture by taking local community college non credit class. Really got into it did over a time a kitchen set of chairs, a nice recliner, a big overstuffed chair, 2 wing back vinyl chairs, my cars seat, and some other misc stuff. I kept taking the class the teacher did the sewing for me, I was helping teach by my last few classes.

Its a LOT of work but well worth restoring older quality furniture.

As to the spring it will be difficult to just replace the spring, just redo the chair///\\\\

Springs can break but generally its the webbing and tying that fails making it appear its a broken spring........

Reply to
hallerb