repairing a kitchenaid mixer

Hello, our mixer broke, so I took it apart and I found a metal piece where the teeth were gone, so I guess this is it, and ordered a new part:

All the gears in the casing were all in a lot of grease. I took it out assuming it contained some scraps of metal. I assume I need to put some new grease back in: do they sell this grease at home depot or lowes? What is the name ? I guess I will try to put back as much as originally in the casing.

Thanks.

Fred

Reply to
fredinstl

Your first call should be manufacturer customer service. They may possibly even send you the right stuff. Failing that, a heavy duty bearing grease should work. Lithium based greases are not so good (those are the yellowish ones best for boat trailer wheels). Good luck,

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Probably something like a food grade grease for food handling equipment. Lubriplate manufacturers a few.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

John Keiser

Fred, I had the same problem, same machine. Went to my DeWalt (and others) power tool repair place and they offered to sell me a few ounces (half the size of a pack of cigarettes) for $ 89. Yes, Eighty-nine dollars. Decided to put the old grease back in. Mixer is working fine.

Ivan Vegvary

Ivan Vegvary