repainting refrigerated walk-in with concrete floor

The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic) paint I can use for this situation?

Reply to
ron helmuth

The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic) paint I can use for this situation?

Reply to
ron helmuth

The paint on the concrete floor of my walk-in refrigerator has over the course of many years of use become unpainted in the middle traffic areas. I want to repaint tbe whole floor. Is there any special prep work I need to do? What's the best kind of (nontoxic) paint I can use for this situation?

Reply to
ron helmuth

Is there an echo in here???

;-]

Check with your local health department. I'm sure they would know what an approved paint (as far as non-toxic/food safe) would be....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

While I am sure there are special fool grade paints I dont get the impression that you plan to put food into direct contact with the painted floor. If this is the case just about any water based latex floor paint should be fine which essentially consists of acrylic latex polymers and titanium dioxide, neither of which are that toxic. You will of course want to shut down the fridge, warm it up, and properly ventilate fumes before restocking.

Reply to
ceraboy

This is Turtle.

ceraboy , you can explain to the health inspector this when he checks your walk-in cooler and finds not a good paint on the floor and he tells you to shut the cooler down and take all the food product to the trash dump for it has been contaimated with your off the wall brand of floor paint. If he runs a business and open to the public ,You maybe walking him off into a fun time with a health inspector. Everything that goes into a walk-in freezer or cooler has spec's by your state health department.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Obviously it is up to the original poster to verify local state laws and whether this is a commercial operation in which these laws would apply. If you are aware of any specific regulations, regardless of which state you live in, then state it otherwise you statements are foolhardy. The term "good paint" can mean just about anything. I have not been able to find any supplier of specific food grade FLOOR paint, probably because most people in this country dont eat off the floor. You either have non-toxic, water based latex floor paints or epoxy floor paints for high traffic. I am curious as to how you know a food inspector would instantly know that the floor is not a food based floor paint. How many times have you seen an inspector scrape the paint of a well painted clean floor for analysis.

Reply to
ceraboy

The BEST solution is poured epoxy flooring, like

It's tougher than the concrete it goes over, seamless, chemical resistant, stable down to cryogenic temperatures, self-leveling, non-skid, and you can run it right up the wall with a rounded cove so that crud doesn't get stuck in cracks in the corners.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

This is Turtle.

I see you have never had your ass chewed up by a Health Dept. Inspector have you ? I work on Walk-in freezers and cooler and know that there is certain paints that they will allowed and some that are not allowed.

Now Food and cases of food is put on the floor of coolers & freezers all the time and if you did not know this. You probley don't know about what the Health Inspector is going to look for when he looks at it. He is looking for thing that you would not think about and the kind of paint used inside the boxes is one of them.

I know your going to say you know better , so go ahead and paint your stuff like you want but commercial freezers and coolers have rules to go by.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Turtle is correct. Hope you checked with your local health department

Reply to
carlosla87

Turtle still alive? I've not seen his posts in several years.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon