Removing paint stain

How can i remove stains that were left on my ceiling after removing painters tape ?

Reply to
desgnr

  1. If the painters applied and removed the tape, they are also responsible for removing marks.
  2. If the tape was yours, it would be fastest to identify its maker and ask which solvent works best. Various adhesives are used. Green masking tape is advertised as being removable without leaving adhesive stains.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

I can't imagine a stain being cause from painters' tape. I would expect that what is showing is either the old coat of paint (new layer of paint pulled off when tape removed?) or a piece of tape that got stuck because it was left in place until the paint dried. what kind of paint? Describe the stain, please.

Reply to
norminn

Tape doesnt leave stains, probably it removed the newest layer of paint

Reply to
ransley

What sort of stain ?

Painter's tape has special glue so it won't destroy the wall finish unless it is left on for weeks or months longer than necessary...

It sounds like you didn't press the tape onto the surface properly and had paint leak around the tape... Or you cut in with much more paint than was needed and it bled into the tape even though you pressed the tape on properly because of the excessive amount of paint you used cutting in...

If you put painter's tape on a wall that was recently painted and had not yet fully dried, the tape can and will pull that new paint layer right off the wall when you remove the tape... The directions on the painter's tape warn of this...

Please tell us more about the "stains" so that we can figure out what you did incorrectly and give you advice on how to prevent the mistake in the future...

Your only way to remove any "stains" at present is to paint more coats on the surface that is stained until you can no longer see the "stains"...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

[...]

LOL... No...

You need to repaint the wall or ceiling area carefully to cover over your mistake...

Next time you need to put more tape or use the painting tape with the attached poly strips because you were not careful enough cutting in...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

That's paint, not a stain. The easiest thing is to touch it up with the ceiling paint.

Reply to
Bob F

Anything that would remove the wall paint will also remove the ceiling paint so you have to cover it up with more ceiling paint.

If you didn't paint the ceiling you may now have to repaint the entire ceiling because your touch up may not match even if you use the same paint from the same can the originally painted it.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

It's possible that you can wash off the newer paint without harming the old paint underneath....if the new paint has not "cured". Hot water and some Formula 409 has worked for me. Need to be very careful, but if it is a small area it will likely work.

Reply to
norminn