Reluctant fan

I had the same fan. It lasted several more winters (I used it in front of the fireplace insert). It was amusing to watch the SLOOOOOW turns and then at some point see it whirling away full speed. It did not get hot, smoke, make noise, or burn the place down (man, I live dangerously!). Eventually, it stopped going, even with a bit of a helpful spin from me. So, I got my money's worth, and then some.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Well, I unscrewed the plastic grille from my Lasko 3733 20" box fan and there it was, a permanent split phase motor with a 250 V 4.0 microfarad capacitor. (Horrible fan. I keep it in the kitchen because I can hang it from the ceiling in a jiffy to blow smoke out the window before it stinks up the house.)

How would you switch speeds with a shaded pole motor?

Reply to
J Burns

...snip....

What warning was that? Just curious...

Should know better, but don't always.

Well, that makes some sense except that I know for sure that I couldn't replace my antique (might just be old) fan for $20. Yes, I could get a $20 fan but it sure wouldn't be a direct replacement for the CFM's that that thing moves. The OPs box fan? Maybe.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree!!!!

I am probably the cheapest bastard on earth...but I would not waste time with a seized-up motor.

Around here new box fans go for $15 and $3 at a rummage sale.

Reply to
philo

and the motor starts spinning. WD40 everything in sight in the motor, and apply some spray 3/1 oil any place you can get to near the bearings. Leave it outside for a few hours to dissipate the small, and then enjoy the fast- moving fan again.

For about two days, till the WD and three in one dry out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
trader_4

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Mine starts much sooner - a minute or two. Last time I started it I tried giving the blade a push. Seemed to help.

Thanks, but don't bother with the notes.

Reply to
KenK

trader_4 wrote in news:09385a72-c3b2-494f-a521- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

It's in my 'office' area. It only runs when I'm there.

Reply to
KenK

When I say old the fans were built in the 1930's. If/when they fail again they typically slow down again.

Reply to
NotMe