Reliable Studfinder

My significant other has decided she needs some fairly heavy items hung on the walls. I'd really like to anchor these into studs if possible, and hate playing "find a stud" by tapping the wall until the tone changes then driving a skinny nail to see if my knuckle and ear were properly calibrated.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good stud finder? Cost is a factor here - this won't be a tool I use that often.

Our walls are sheetrock over wood framing if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Here's a link

Zircon makes a good one......Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Someone here a few days ago mentioned using the little "super magnets"...just going around until they find nails/screws in the sheet rock sheet rock to stick to. He said he then used a standard cheapo stud finder to verify.

My cheapo stud finder wouldn't verify much of anything, gonna try just the magnets next time I have a need. .

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Hi,

Looks interesting.

Anyone know the principle it uses to find em ?

Bob

----------------------------------

Reply to
Robert11

"Robert11" wrote in news:OKidnU3bLOSeg4ffRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Murray Peterson

I believe the principle is a capacitve proximity switch....Another poster left a link that will explain....Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

By a $20 stud finder. Avoid the magnetic ones - they don't work well (have to be over a nail). I got a real Zircon studfinder after years of playing the find the stud game and it's one of the handiest tools i've ever had. You may think you're only going to use it once, but you'll be surprised after a couple years go by how much you use it.

Camilo

Reply to
Camilo