Rejuvenate corroded faucet?

I just bought a circa 1971 house and I replaced all of the hose bibs with ball valves (sweated). I bought threaded ball hose bibs and 1/2 sweat to threaded adaptors. No leaks for me and easy to change if need be some day.

If freezing is an issue you might want to consider the valves that turn off inside. So freezing is not a problem.

Reply to
AlanBown

Walter -

You might be able to drill & easy-out the screws.

Without replacing the washers, these faucets won't work very well.

Or just bite the bullet & sweat a male pipe adapter on so you can easily change the faucet in the future.

Like Alan I often use threaded ball valves., they're great for use with a hose but suck for hand washing.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I have 6 outdoor spigots (faucets, bibs) around the perimeter of my house. They are 25 years old. The washers are chewed up. The screws that hold the washers in are all corroded and are crumbling. Therefore I cannot replace the washers.

Short of replacing the faucets ( 1/2" soldered fittings) is there any way I can revive these faucets? If I could only get the stubs of the darned screws out of the valve stem!

Thanks, although this looks hopeless.

Reply to
Walter R.

It would be difficult to easy-out screws that small, particularly brass.

But if you have access to a lathe it you can easily chuck up those stems, drill out the stubs of the old screws with the tap drill for the present size screws and run a tap down the hole. That will probably give you good enough threads to hold a new screw of the same size.

If not, there's probably room to use a tap drill for the next size screw up from what's there now.

You'll probably need new stem packing too, but that's easy to get.

If you wanna send just the stems to me I'll be happy to do the machining work for you gratis. Just e-mail me directly.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

OK, it sounds like you must live where you don't need inside shutoff valves to prevent freeze damage to the hose c**ks during the winter.

That probably means you don't have to shovel snow either.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thank you for your generous offer, Jeff. Problem is, that would leave me without water for several days or weeks. My wife will be pretty unhappy if she has to refill the toilets by hand from the irrigation system.

I'll just sweat on male adapters and screw on new hose bibs.

Have a great day :-)

Reply to
Walter R.

You can buy new stems. Bring the old ones in to the hardware store and match them up. Ron

Reply to
Ron