Refrigerator not cold

I have a Maytag Performa fridge/freezer that has become quite warm. The freezer is on top, and seems to be blowing warm air constantly. I removed the defrost timer and defrost thermostat, the timer tested good, but the thermostat didn't. I assume the thermostat is a simple on/off switch so I tried running the fridge with it disconnected, and with the wires jumped. Still warm. Does this mean when the new thermostat I ordered gets here, it will still be warm, or is it possible it will still fix the problem? What else should I look at?

Reply to
Fugazi

Different refrigerator, but when mine did that, the repair guy replaced a circuit board that tested bad. It wasn't running the defrost cycle properly. He said the repair wasn't enough, though. The coils behind the panel in the freezer were encased in a block of ice, and I still had to wait 24 hours for them to defrost. Some were hidden behind an area he said wasn't worth disassembling, unless I was made out of money and was in a rush. So, I waited. It worked.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I just had this happen 2 weeks ago on my whirlpool. The repairman charged me $218 to replace a (i might say it wrong) starter solonoid. It took him about 20 minutes in the back of the fridge with what was probebly a $50 part. I really wish I could find a cd with a search item for simple household repairs. lou

Reply to
Lou

Hi, Try it without jumpering the 'stat. Just disconnect it.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Recently fixed an upright freezer for $49.54 local. Web cost was $50 for parts.

Smelt burnt wire in the garage and went on the look. Then I hear the thing sizzle....trying to start. Remove the parts too visit the local appliance supply.

Thought I failed; until I realized I forgot to plug the pig tail plug together.

btw, not a bunch of info out this (my case).

Thus, the repairman! Unless you look.

Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Is the freezer cold? If so, it could be the evaporator fan not working. Or the defrost heaters not working. You can get some troubleshooting at

or

Edwin Pawlowski

That was the first thing I tried. :(

Do you suppose that test eliminates the thermostat as the culprit? It tested bad with an OHM meter.

Reply to
sittingduck

Hi, One common problem with defrost timer is burnt out, pitted contact or causing closed stuck contact. If it is closed all thew time, the heater is on all the time warmp temperature. Now put the 'stat back and dis connect timer contaqcts leads and see what happens.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The timer looks very good, and testing it with an OHM meter, it checked out perfectly.

Reply to
sittingduck

Hi, Did you check timer motor and contacts? Contacts carry high current 120V AC for defrost heater.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It turned out to be the compressor starter. This part fixed it: HS410 3-in-1 Hard Start Kit Includes relay, overload, and start capacitor for

115V, 1/4-1/3 HP compressors Alternate numbers: RC0410, 600-410
Reply to
sittingduck