Refrigerator - freezer defrost test

Nah...never....just 5 commercial accounts with an average of 6 units in each one.. Plus god knows how many more that were referals over the years...

Im not f****ng Sears. If you base your repairs on what some funky does, then you are as bad.

Or how about the units with a vac switch that lets it know that the doors been shut, and the unit can start back up again? Seen those Terry? Ever try to figure out a side by side reach in that wont start but yet, everythings fine?....

As a one man band, I dont expect you to know a thing about how to manage time with other crews out working...and truth be known, new installs are now being scheduled for MARCH. Sales are up quite a bit...but then, again, I dont expect you to know much about that, being that you, as a one man band after all this time, cant sell, repair, install, diagnose, etc, but one at a time, while we have crews out that can do all that at the same time../.while I sit here and go...wow...amazing how business has gone up this year and we are not working any harder.

Oh...now.....excuse me, cause its Christmas and I gave most of the guys the day off, its after 12 noon, and I have a duct system to go install so that tomorrow, all the guys have to do it run a lineset and gas pipe. You DO know what a duct system is dont you Terry? Its those round hollow things that you have to wrap with duct insulation.

Reply to
CBHVAC

"TURTLE" wrote > >

I have been doing it for 31 years, never heard that rule.

It's wrong, I don't care who says to do it.

Not anywhere I know.

No problem.

Reply to
Ed

This is Turtle.

now Ed , your going to tell me that as you say you have worked on refrigerators for 31 years and never seen a defrost timer jam and before you get there or when you get there it the timer goes back to working before you see it. when you get there the coil is frozen up , defrost timer is running, defrost terminator is closed, and the defrost element has no breaks or defects. at this time you can run all the test you want on the box and it will show no problem.

Now explain to me this problem as to what you would do ? Is there a test to see if the timer just jammed or stopped and went back to running or how to you handle this problem ? what you explain to me can be useful to me in my business and this is not a joke or cheap shot. i know most all about what you will explain here so just get a little complex if you like.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi, If the contacts on the timer is badly pitted, just replace it for peace of mind. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Tony Hwang"

The contacts were pitted, but no more than nay other relay contacts I have seen. Smoothed them with a small file for now. There was still a fair amount of contact material left.

I know that some relay contacts in the higher rating are made of silver-cadmium oxide, which is closer to the surface. Once the cad-oxide is worn, the contacts wear out much faster.

Since this is my own fridge, I can take the risk and keep that timer working for longer. For now it's fine. If I were doing it for someone else, I'd replace the timer.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

replying to CBHVAC, reality calls wrote: these modern refrigerators are half bullshit. a defrost timer and defrost thermostat, should be EASILY ACCESSIBLE on the inside of the food/freezer compartment, or on the outside. not buried behind all the shelves and back covers, requiring taking all the food out, and putting it in a cooler, to work on it. BAD DESIGN CALLED on all modern appliances that don't have easy access to these critical controls. #2, dust blocks the condenser coils- BAD DESIGN CALLED AGAIN- a filter that is easy to clean or change, is needed, just like an AIR CONDITIONER has ?? WTF designed these appliances ? dumb idiots ? nothing worse then working on the back end w/compressor, start components, and the damned thing goes into DEFROST MODE, and you have to sit for 15 minutes waiting for it to finish, just to continue troubleshooting the first problem- OR take all the food out and put it on ice- this is total BULLSHIT. if I owned an appliance company and my engineers put forth such a design, I'd threaten to fire them- and they'd deserve it. it's like designing a car radio without a volume knob for cripes sakes. what morons invented this stuff ? an old wooden frig with a block of ice worked better. one thing went wrong- the ice melted eventually. big deal, put another block of ice in.

Reply to
reality calls

I think you need to be less eager to call others morons. The message you're replying to is well over a decade old... moron!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Example dot com .... web portal user. Not even a real usenet post.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Gordon Shumway, dumb Gordon Shumway wrote: the Bible is 2000+ years old too....your point ? you DUMMY- to build a database, you KEEP ALL HISTORICAL POSTS you dumb arse, since when do you DELETE and forget a growing database ? the hydrogen bomb is 65 years old too...you don't see the USA throwing the formula away and gunpowder/firearms technology is how old ? they still use those today by the police, right ? the airplane was invented in early 1900's- did we stop flying those ? you need to take the narrow blinders off. replying to the post means nothing- we're BUILDING A DATABASE here for everyone to refer to later whether or not a previous poster reads it, is irrelevant YOU DUMB arse !!

Reply to
dumb Gordon Shumway

Hey, Oren, now I have a fan too! I finally made it to the big time.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway