Recommendation for basement humidifier

I have a small but occasionally wet 3/4 height basement 25x15. Looking for a dehumidifier where the continuous drain works (I'll dump it into the sump pump). I have heard many stories where even with the hose connected it doesn't work and fills up the bucket. Target is $250, any ideas?

Reply to
ArghArgh

Consumer Reports has the Midea MAD20S1QWT top rated for a small capacity dehumidifier. That is supposed to be ok for an area of 600 square feet. $180-$200. Lowes, Amazon, Walmart.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

My experience has been that these typically only last a few years. I had a Sears which was the worst ever. These are one of the few things where it may be a good idea to consider the extended warranty. I was negotiating with a local appliance store some years ago and they made me an offer where they were like $30 more than the online price, but they threw in an extended warranty. I said yes. It died and they had to replace it.

Reply to
trader_4

I've had good luck with the "refurb" units from the Surplus Store. They usually last me about 10 years of summer use only - so no extended warranty is going to help me. For my basement - we roll it to point to different areas of the basement every few days. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new scratch & dent unit either. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I've been using the GE model sold in Lowe's for the past few years. First brand I've ever had that has outlasted the extended warranty I always purchase with them. since all previous brands I've had never lasted as long as the warranty.

Note: the pump in one stopped working, but it still works otherwise. The other two drain into a sink or floor drain and don't have the pump.

-dan z-

Reply to
dyno dan

I have the GE model. I normally never buy a warranty package but this time I did, since my dehumidifiers have typically failed in 2 years. I'm past 3 years on this one now and it is still doing fine. It dumps through the hose. It is tricky getting that hose lined up exactly right, you pretty much have to lie on the floor or put the unit on a table to get it on, but once you do it works well. Mine doesn't have a pump, just a drain hose. (I have an acquaintance with the same model who swears the hose doesn't work. I offered to attach it for him but he turned me down because he "knew" it wouldn't work. )

However, if you have the 3/4 basement you might need a more robust model. The Santa Fe's handle more humidity and have a 5 year guarantee, but also they ran about $1500 last time I looked.

Reply to
TimR

Check out the energy usage. I gave mine away, no idea what brand, but it upped me electric bill by an outrageous 100 bucks a month. My normal bill was 50ish. 10 years ago.

Reply to
Thomas

$ 100. per month ! Really ? I was amazed when my early 1970's fridge saved me $ 10. per month - when I upgraded to a "modern" early 1990s fridg. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Could be an exaggeration but I recall it being at least double plus. It was a wtf moment. It did run 24/7 nonstop. I had a hose running into a 5 gallon water jug and emptied it a couple times a week. I think it was given to me. It was not new nor pretty.

Reply to
Thomas