Re-paving asphalt drive

I've had an asphalt driveway for about 12 years (New Jersey). Several years ago several cracks started appearing, and in winter you can see dirt come up through the drive when wet. I pulled up and replaced one

10 square foot cracked section (there are several others); in places it was only 3/4 inch thick. I'm guessing that this is the cause of the cracks and that the base is good. The original drive was supposed to be 2 inches thick.

I'm planning on having it paved over with an additional 2 inch finish coat of asphalt. Here are my questions:

  1. Should I have contractor pull up remaining cracked sections and make sure base there is sound?

  1. Should I ask for the end at driveway entrance and end at garage be pulled up so new layer is at the proper height?

  2. Is 2 inches a good thickness to request? How can you tell if they deliver the correct thickness?

  1. Any other recommendations? Thanks... Tom

Reply to
tghicks

  1. If it is just cracks and no little sink holes or other unevenness, the base is probably fine. but only you can make that call
  2. The other poster gave a good reason to do this, drainage

  1. I don't know what is the appropriate thickness but if you calculate the area they need to cover and divide that by the number of cubic yards (or feet) of material you buy (may need to convert from tons) you will have an average thickness. As to whether they apply it evenly, thats another question. You can also shove a stick in it.

  2. If you ever wanted to change the shape of the drive, now is the time to consider it. Many people have insufficient parking or poor access to the garage.
Reply to
PipeDown