Re: Can mice get thru 1/4" hardware cloth?

You might consider trying to add a deterrent if you put up wire. Biting through something nearby liberally sprayed with pepper juice like Tabasco or the now unfortunately discontinued Whisk, seems to have no appeal. I've used it long ago and heard the odd squeal but no mice signs after that. The distasteful stuff would have to be applied to whatever surface is under the wire. And if you have a rodent problem in an enclosed space, not too large, I think electronic deterrents can work very well. I had squirrels making themselves at home in a small overhead space. Put one of these, maybe a 3 inch dome, up through a hole meant for a light fixture connected to an extension cord, and when I heard them I plugged it in. A very great deal of loud squealing and never heard from again. Used a 'YardGuard' made maybe 20 years ago, unsure if new are same, in a tree coons were using to access my roof to destroy it. Left it there emitting the faint frequency a few days and since installing and turning it on, never heard them again either. I did hear neighbour's dog, across a driveway, whining to get inside. Didn't hear much from that howler again either.

Distasteful but otherwise harmless spray or soaked substances and frequencies have really worked for me. But if an area where you will be working, maybe put up reminders for yourself to protect against substances used. ONLY useful traps I have found are electronic. LITTLE mice are well able to enjoy cleaning out spring traps.

Reply to
albert finney