Rain

Why is it I can keep my garden wet and fertilised, but after a rain the plants always get a bigger boost. Im on city water. I live on a lake and wonder if pumping lake water would have the same effect as rain.

Reply to
m Ransley

after a rain

I live on a

effect as

No. And you know that. Why keep trolling?

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Who is trolling Pop Nuts

Reply to
m Ransley

Because rain water doesn't contain chlorine.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte J.

This is Turtle.

Rain water is just about pure as you can get it but may have a little stuff in it. It is Distilled water from the air and city water has all kinds of stuff to kill germs and stuff to help your teeth not fall out. What Man Drinks should not be put on nature.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If its not so good for plants well it isnt so good for us, I will stick to beer

Reply to
m Ransley

So, you're assuming that beer is good for plants?

Reply to
Brigitte

Actually, that COULD be a legit question. Many people in this area use a pump with a pickup at the lake for lawn sprikler systems..

Reply to
CBHVAC

Its not a Troll, for for I just put in 85 large Hostas and perennials and have a moldy green thumb to. We in the midwest went through a super dry april and I watered everything , kept the ground wet. Well after the First rain wham everything pops. Now after 3 weeks no rain it rains and next morning same thing . I have great soil , soil is wet 14" deep and heavily fertilised, but Rain makes a difference , Yes we have chlorene , flouride, but there may be a O3 relationship , nitrogen , or its the chlorene , flouride. A Troll, Go grow some tomatoes guys , They are better than store bought any day, mine often go to 1.5 lb. Remember water is not water , if you people Knew what I was talking about you wouldnt have responded as a Troll.... The beer is for me as Turtle helped me again.

Reply to
m Ransley

Did ya know there are over 2000 variaties of Hostas and Sum and Substance has a record of Four feet x 114 inches. Mine are big and yes I saw a 4" pop after the rain in 12 hrs. Amazing. If the plants do better maybe the " Naders " are right about Flouride and Chlorene. Even my Lawn never looks great till a rain.

What is nature telling us.

Reply to
m Ransley

Chucks Turkey Jerkies

You woulnt know a troll if it bit your nose off.

Get away from all that concrete

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

If the city water was all that good or pure. Why do All manufactors of refrigerators recommend putting a carbon type filter in the water line going to the ice and water in the Door before you drink it. Carbon filter will remove everything out of the water so you can drink it.

I got a ideal for you. There is a fellow here that has a open top holding tank that he puts his water in it before he puts it on his garden. He says it will let the Sun kill off any bateria and let the chemical evaperate off. He says the Chlorine will evaperate out in 24 hours in the open tank. He also says the Bleach or Chlorine is not good for plants. He says this works for what your talking about.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

My old man always said that the more lightning there was in a rain storm, the greener the crop. Old man Moser, my ag teacher, said that rainwater contained more nitrogen than ground water.

Reply to
Ludwig

You are right Turtle a tank would be nice, but now that I realise this water problem ,I have a free lake I can pump out of and save alot on my water bill , I even see some distant relatives of yours in it , snappers . Either way its always something isnt it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Ludwig, thats what I thought Nitrogen from rain, maybe the Ozone is also helpfull also.

Reply to
m Ransley

troll or not, the question is good. I have noticed the same effect, water like crazy doesn't do near as much good as a 1/4" rain. And I am on a well with nothing added to the water.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

This is Turtle.

The Lake / The Tank Daaaaaaaaaaaa . The Sun has worked on that water there for a good while and would be good.

Harbor Freight has a Transfer pump 1" -- 1 H.P. [ Electric motor and pump ] for $59.00 . All you need is a supply line and water hook up. If I can remember i think it is self priming too. Free Shipping with anything over $50.00 and no sales tax.

All them Relatives don't like Chlorine either.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle Again.

Correction here Pump and motor is $79.99 and not $59.99 . It's a 1-1/4 H.P. motor with 1" pipe hook up. It on 115 volt service it is a 3/4 H.P. and 21 G.P.M. the two forms of info on the webpage of harbor freight does not match up here. So they have a water pump for $79.99 and that is all we know. Even if it is a 3/4 H.P. it will do all you want.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Even if you have well water you still CAN have stuff in it that Distilled water will not like Rain water will. Ground water still CAN have stuff like Ironsulfate, methane vapor, Iron, Run off Chemicals, DDT, Round Up from someone in Ohio, Oil Well injection of Salt water, and a host of other chemical that man has turned loose. Well water most of the time is suppose to be good but Man has been messing around down there for a long time to mess it up. Also City water starts with well water and Man gets to mess it up some more.

Man can screw up anything if give enough of time.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You need a bit more info on the pump. Transfer rate alone won't help if you are trying to set up a sprinkler system. Many pumps have high transfer rates but low head or delivery pressure.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K