Radiator Pipe HELP

I am interested in various solutions other than painting , in covering these pipes.

They are somewhat intrusive ...coming out of nowhere and usually sitting in the

middle of the room for all to see. it seems no matter what paint, one uses it seems

to chip off and i was wondering if there is anything more decorative. Ive seen

insulated solutions...what are thes called and where can i get them...someone

suggested just tying rope around the entire pipe, but I'm worried it'll burn...

please help...this is one of my projects this week, and i really want to finish it

before winter comes and the pipes get too hot to handle. thanks!

Reply to
waynebrown

They only get to about 120 - 140 degrees so nothing will burn. Insulation is not needed, as they are designed to supply the heat to the house. Giving off some heat as they pass through is not a big deal and can help in distribution.

I've seen many cases where the pipes were boxed in, especially in a corner. A couple of 2 x 4's and sheetrock will do it. I've seen them totally enclosed, I've seen them with a decorative metal screening in front to allow air flow.

The pipe are a fact of radiator life, generally efficient and even heating so look at them as things of mechanical beauty rather than an intrusion. While they may look "old fashioned", they are better than many of the newer distribution systems. Old radiators are coming back in style and fetch big buck when rebuilt.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski