Radiant Barrier

Anyone have experience with a radiant barrier in the attic?

I'm looking at building a house in a sunny place and the builder offers radiant barrier as a $1700 option. I'm thinking it may be a big help with AC cost over time. I've not seen any before/after stories though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Is that the stuff that looks like aluminum foil??

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

" Dust accumulation on the reflective surface will reduce its reflective capability. " ... this would be a problem in my attic ! .. I hardly vacuum my house - let alone my attic !

I've no experience with this product, but like anything -

  1. cost vs payback - future energy cost increases or re-sale value ?
  2. proper installation
  3. installation - during new construction vs later.. now is better.

$ 1700 seems like a small amount on a new house - to me - but if it's a significant upgrade - or if it's a builders gotcha .. .. like the car salesmen .. ? dunno. Good luck. I've always wanted to have a custom-built home - but - the underground layout with round doorways .. might be a difficult re-sell - even here in Hobbiton. Although the pipe-weed garden might make up for it ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes. One article I read said it could save 17% on energy.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

.. if you live on Venus, and have no other insulation ..

Reply to
hubops

According to the Wiki article you can save $150 a year. Not a lot but the rates for energy may have changed since it was written. Florida gets lots of sun so may be worth it. I'd not bother here in CT.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Does radiant barrier block cell phone signal?

Reply to
RF Faraday

Good point. Not sure how good the signal is there to begin with but will check the next time I go.

I did find this: Bottom line: usually installing a radiant barrier does not cause any problems with cell phone reception. However, if you already have a weak signal, then installing a radiant barrier may push it to the point that you may have some reception issues.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the attic is reasonably accessible and you're capable and willing you could DIY later, if you decide to, for a lot less. Or have an aftermarket installer do it, IDK what they charge, but it might be worth considering and you don't have to do it now. I would think there are also different grades of the material, if the builder does it I'd be sure to spec out what is to be used.

Reply to
trader_4

You need to wear your tin-foil pyramid hat

Reply to
hubops

I only know of two people who have used this and they were extremely pleased with the barrier.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

what kind of radiant barrier? Foil, paint, sheathing?

Reply to
ChairMan

Possibly a good point. In 1971 I built a house in the mid-west where the builder used only foil backed drywall on all exterior walls and ceilings. Most cellphones would only ring, but if the answered, the call would drop. Texts would usually come in. This was on most cellphones including mine. When our phone was lost, we got a newer model and it worked anywhere in the house, including the basement. Don't know why, but even after we found the other phone, we kept the replacement. Don't know if it was a different frequency or higher power or what, but it did work.

Reply to
Art Todesco

The old phone was an analog phone. The new phone was digital. The new digital GSM phones are even better than the older digital phones. The old analog phones SUCKED.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Pretty sure this is foil but I've not seen it yet. I'm going down at the end of the month.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have the barrier in sliding glass doors and a few windows in sunny areas and it does appear to make a difference in less demand on both heating and cooling. Also bought some of the film for some small single pane windows on sides of the front doors and it does seem to help. I do not recommend installing it on large windows as it was impossible to keep all bubbles out. I think value in house is best in the windows. In the attic I would think foil backed insulation would be just as good since you do not need to see through it.

Reply to
Frank

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

I wasn't aware you were an a ship. (G) I also thought of something else but won't post...

My buddy & I put this up in his barn and seemed to help the heat, very subjective. I don't know if you could get other insulation upgrades for that price. GFretwell may have insight.

Reply to
Tekkie®