question regarding wiring lights....

I am putting two antique very simple lights onto the chimney surface. There were lights there previously, when the fellow did the drywalling he took them off.

Is there a specific way that the wire should be joined? In the wall I see one white and one black, both are capped. The light fixture itself, has two wires, but both the same color. ..So..does it matter how I connect the wires since there isn't any differentiation on the fixture?

thanks janet

Reply to
caledon

if you have a meter or can determine which of the two white wires feed the center of the light socket for a standard bulb then connect the black wire to that center feeding conductor.

that way the hot side isnt exposed as much to your fingers say when you are screwing in a bulb

Reply to
hallerb

There should be a series of ridges on one of the wires, that is the hot which is connected to the black wire.

Reply to
JGolan

I will check that out. I don't think there was any difference between the two wires. Will double check. Thanks janet

JGolan wrote:

Reply to
caledon

Looking for ridges is a good idea. But I believe the ridges are the "identified conductor" which is the neutral which is white.

bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Bud is right, the side with ridges should go to the neutral

Reply to
gfretwell