wiring question

Hello all,

I removed a fluorescent light fixture that I will be replacing with an incandescent fixture. When I removed the fluorescent one the wires in the ceiling box were 2 reds (capped together) 2 blacks (capped together) and 2 whites. One of the whites went to the black wire in the balist, and the other white went to the white wire of the balist. I marked the white wire that went to the black wire of the balist...is this the hot wire that I would connect to the black wire of the new fixture?

Thanks!

Eddie G

Reply to
Eddie G

It probably is the hot wire. I would check both wires to ground with a meter or test light. The wire should have been marked non-white when installed. Sounds like the light is between 2 3-way switches with the black and red being 'travelers'.

Reply to
bud--