Question on concrete board

I'm remodeling a very small bathroom (about 5'x7'). For now, I'll just be laying linoleum, but I would like to lay some concrete board so that I can at a later date tile the room. The flooring right now (under the existing linoleum) is a 1/2" thick plywood. It seems very solid and doesn't seem to buckle. This house was built some 40 years ago and the wood looks in excellent condition.

Anyway, how THIN of a layer of concrete board can I get away with? I don't want to raise the final level of the floor any more than necessary. Would 1/4" concrete be okay for a small job like this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Oppie

See what the tile maker says about their product. I don't know that it is even available that thin. If it flexes, the tile will crack.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, I don't really know what sizes it comes in. I think I've seen it in 1/4" but maybe I was looking at something else.

From what I've been told elsewhere, better to be safe than sorry. Damn, I really hate lifting the floor up that much. Oh well!

Reply to
Oppie

It does come in 1/4" thickness, but it will probably flex too much. Even a miniscule amount of flex will crack the grout.

The thinnest I have read you can go for floor thickness is 1/2" durarock attached to 5/8" plywood using thinset and the proper type and number of screws.

When I worked for a construction company I put down a dozen or more floors and always had to come back and try to fix loose tiles and cracked grout on floors where the sub floor wasn't thick enough.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle