Question About Renting Propane Tanks

Have you ever rented propane tanks in the 30 to 60 lb size range? If so, what type of business provided this service? I need the propane for a project, but once the project is finished, I won't need the tank. That's why I would rather rent than buy.

Reply to
clemke

Look in the yellow pages under "propane"

Reply to
DB

When I spend my summer weekends in Youngstown, NY, I rented my tank from the propane dealer in Sanborn and I seem to recall 100 lbs. was their smallest size. I think you'll have to call around and see if there is a local dealer who can help you out.

Good luck! Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Check a place that rents forklifts. I can rent a propane tank (full) from one near me, but I pay for the full tank whether I use it all or not. Also, Home Depot, Lowes, etc, rent the regular 20lb tanks for gas grills. A couple of those might suit your needs.

Keith

The way that works is, you buy a new tank, then give it to them and they give you a used tank full of propane for more than what it would cost you to take it to a propane supplier and have it filled. There's a rumor that these tanks aren't filled to capacity, either. It's all a convenience thing.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

There's a rumor that

Yes and No,

The "grill" tank was originally spec'd as a 5 gal or 20 lb tank. (propane 1 gal=4.24 lb) But the new rules reguire an O(verfill) P(rotection) D(evice) valve, that is basically a float valve that creates a vapor expansion "cushion" at the top of the tank. A tank completely filled with liguid has no place to expand when heated (even sunlight) except by valve or tank failure. A sudden 20 lb propane release is not a good thing.

So, it's really a safety issue that tanks aren't completely "filled" with liquid. A properly filled tank will be about

4.5 gal or 19lb. ("empty" tank is about 18lb or 37lb filled)

Several years ago in Garland, Tx. two filled 100 lb tanks laying in the bed of a pickup truck in the Texas summer sun exploded. The tanks not being upright was thought to contribute to the tank failures.

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

I respectfully disagree.

The way it worked for me, patronizing the Rhino brand of propane exchange service at Lowes and a nearby farm supply store, went thusly:

Not willing to part with any of my OWN tanks, I purchased an already-filled tank. Then, when it was empty, I returned it to a Rhino dealer and exchanged it for a "full" tank. I have since purchased another Rhino exchange tank so that I'll always have a full one available.

Again, I disagree.

The reasons I first tried the tank exchange were: 1) Convenience; and 2) Economy. The exchange price was 2-3 dollars LESS than what it cost me to refill my own tank at the local hardware store.

It's just that: A rumor.

The tare (empty) weight is stamped (by law) on all propane cylinders. Placing a newly-refilled tank on your bathroom scale and doing some simple subtraction will reveal how much gas you are paying for.

True. Being proud of my two, 20-lb and two, 30-lb (RV) tanks, I resisted trying the exchange thing for a long time. Now, having done it several times, I am convinced of its VALUE, not to mention convenience. I am even considering retiring my pair of 30-lb RV cylinders and using strictly exchange

20-pounders. Doing so would be cheaper and MUCH more convenient than having my tanks refilled.
Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Well I can tell you one thing, filling is a lot cheaper if you go to the right place. At least in my area. They get $21 to exchange the 20's and I only pay $14.50 to refill the 30's

Reply to
Steve Barker

Where do you store your propane tanks? I read that in order to store them safely, they must be kept outdoors. I really don't want to look at the tank year 'round when I only really need it half of the year. That's why I am researching tank rental.

I had also read that best pricing came from refills vs the exchange program. The exchange program does offer convenience, as there are multiple outlets near me that offer filled propane tanks for exchange. The few refill places in my area are about 20 to 30 minutes away.

Reply to
clemke

You don't have to store them out in the open. You can store them in a garden shed with some vent screens installed down at floor level since LP is heavier than air. In the event of a leak the vents will allow it to flow out and dissipate instead of filling the shed.

Where the best pricing is depends on a lot of things, particularly your usage rate. If you use a tank full per year, it's pretty irrelevant if the exchange gas is $2 more than a fill. If you use a lot (like construction heaters) then the cost per fill will make a difference.

Another thing to remember is that with exchange you never have to deal with the cost or replacing the cylinder or having it hydro tested. The

20# LP cylinders are worth so little that they are rarely hydro tested and are normally just replaced, so figure another $30 cylinder every 10 or 15 years. For larger cylinders this cost is more significant and hydro testing may be more economical than replacement.
Reply to
Pete C.

I worked the system:)

Picked up 5 or 6 tanks, of the old variety, without all the safety gizmos. one a guy gave me at a flea maRKET FREE, HE WAS PACKING UP AND DIDNT WANT TO TAKE IT HOME

anyhow took them all to a gas station who exchanged the old tanks for nicely repainted updated ones. I have 6 tanks now and all I paid was exchange price:)

I take those into to refill, 14 dollars compared to 20 exchange

exchanged tanks dont smewll like propane coming home, but its not worth 6 bucks extra//

I refill tanks usually once a year

store tanks in my shed, have ventilation

Reply to
hallerb

Wow, I can't believe they didn't charge you for the new valve. They really watch for that around here.

Reply to
Steve Barker