Question About Adding A Bathroom

Hi, Looking for opinions about whether the resale value of a house would go up or down after adding a bathroom. I know, sounds obvious, but read on.

I live in a 4 bedroom, ONE bath older house. The bathroom is 6'3" X 12'6". The way the house is laid out, I could cut the existing bathroom in half, making two rooms that would be SMALL 6'3" X 6'1" after allowing for the wall in between them.

I could SQUEEZE a full bath in each half with one accessed like it is now, from the main hallway. I could cut a hole into the master bedroom from the second half so I would end up with a master bath. But they would be SMALL.

The only other options I have would be to take away part of the walk-in closet in the master BR, or take the small adjoining enclosed porch, currently used as an office and convert it into a bathroom.

Both of those options would give me a master bath without touching the existing bathroom, but then I would lose either the office or a most of the closet. If I took the office, which is really a sunroom, I would have to do some major reworking of the exterior of the house, i.e. taking out a bunch of windows and an exterior door, and resheathing and residing to match the rest of the house.

My wife and I are capable of doing all the work ourselves either way, but we are wondering what would be the better way to go from a resale standpoint. Thanks, John

Reply to
Johnny_A_58

There's no reason to read any further - your resale value will go up. Will it go up more than you put into it? Well, that's another question, but usually you'll get most if not all of the cost out - and that's with paying a contractor. In your situation, with you and the missus doing the work, it's a no brainer.

The only way you could lose is if you do something really dumb, like pick avocado and orange tile that screams rip-me-out! to potential buyers. Or if you are required to pull permits and don't, then you'll be liable for penalties and the inspector could easily turn into an ogre that will suck your blood (money).

Do it by the book, keep it straightforward if you're planning on selling pretty soon, and you won't go wrong.

RicodJour

way the

that would be

bathroom,

office, which is

are wondering

If the ONLY reason for the change is resale, forget it. I would not put a bath on a porch. Is the home one story? Can the smallest bedroom work as a sink/commode/shower and storage?I would lean that way if making the change and the layout is appropriate. I've looked at a lot of older homes with lousy remodels and absurd layouts......somebody's "dream", but not mine.

Reply to
Norminn

The way the

rooms that would be

from the main

existing bathroom,

the office, which is

residing to

are wondering

You can turn off a potential buyer with the real estate listing. A four bedroom house with only one bathroom will turn off people while they're still reading. Maybe a builder or someone who doesn't mind doing work immediately on a new house wouldn't be scared off, but in general the more people that are interested enough to go see it, the more likely it is to sell.

RicodJour

"Johnny_A_58" wrote

Add if you can.

Nope, although the existing one is 'big' thats a nice selling point.

How about this. Can you put in a 1/2 bath using the walk in close without too much loss? L-shaped closet might be the result?

A 4BR, 1.5 bath sells better than a 4BR 1bath. Sure a 4BR 2bath is good, but if you end up with tiny closets or (horror) a 3 BR 2Bath, you've lost out.

1/2 bath in closet area may be doable (you didnt list it's size). I'd want to preserve the office space if possible but thats the next best option for a 2nd bathroom.

Nope, stop thinking 'traditional'. Unless the code specs for your area

*require* a solid wall and a window no bigger than 'x' you can put a bathroom in a sunroom and just add privacy curtins. (outlets have to be spec'ed for bathrooms though). You _may_ want to add some exterior visual blocking material to the house up a few feet if you are sunroom to the 'floor'.

If you are not able to use the closet, this is your next best option if the layout makes it easily accessable. If it's big enough, you might even be able to keep a smaller office and add a 1/2 bath here. No idea of your floorplan layout really though.

Please, whatever you decide, do *not* give up the 4th bedroom. Bad call.

Reply to
cshenk

Appreciate all the good ideas. More info I didn't include... Two of the bedrooms are on the second floor, no way to steal one. Second floor span and size of lumber does not support a bathtub. Don't want to give up the second first floor bedroom. I think we have decided, with your help, to take part of the walk in closet for a master bathroom and leave the original one alone. I will still have enough room left to have a "walk in" closet, although it will be much smaller. Thanks to all! John

Reply to
Johnny_A_58

"Johnny_A_58" wrote

John, check into possibly the small 'space saver' showers?

Though you can find those units alot of places, these show an idea of what might work well for your situation.

Reply to
cshenk

On what basis do you conclude that a 3 Bedroom/2 Bath home done right is a horror compared to a house of the same square footage that is a 4 bedroom/1 bath? A 4 bedroom house with one bath is what's a horror and any buyer will see it in a minute.

Few people are going to value "office space" in a home that is already

4 bedrooms above the value of an additional full bath. Anyone who needs an office can use one of the 4 bedrooms.

This is more bad advice. Money spent on a hafl-ass solution isn't going to add to resale value or make the house easy to sell. I can just imagine how prospective buyers will react when they see a bathroom with a privacy curtain and "exterior visual blocking material."

Nonsense. A 4th bedroom has value if the rest of the house can support it, ie bathrooms, enough overall room, etc. If he can get a nice Masteer Bath plus a full second bath and wind up with that together with 3 bedrooms, he will have a house that is worth more than one with either 4 bedrooms and 1 bath or some half-ass solution, because it's more balanced and livable.

Reply to
trader4